PDA

View Full Version : Base/Duty Station Requests

motocarlo
06-02-07, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if some Marines would be kind enough to explain the process of Base/Duty Station requests once one completes M.O.S. training. I am going 03XX if it makes any difference. Also, any preferred Bases/Duty Stations?

Thank You.

BR34
06-02-07, 02:45 PM
When you get to your MOS school you fill out a bunch of paperwork. One of these will ask where would you like to be stationed (East/West Coast or overseas).

In my case, since there are only 13 of us with 3432 MOS some of us will get to chose the exact base we want to be stationed at if we finish in the top of the class.

My first choice would probably be 8th & I if it's available.

Marine84
06-02-07, 02:47 PM
It's called a Wish List - pretty much you only have 3 choices - East Coast, West Coast, and Overseas - list them in the order in which you would like to visit them. Now the "Coast" has a variety of bases in it and, depending on the need of the Corp, depends on where you land. We aren't limited to Marine bases either.

motocarlo
06-02-07, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info. As an 0311, would overseas mean Japan or Hawaii?

In addition, what bases house infantry units that are particularly prestigious, as far as history and current combat status goes?

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info. As an 0311, would overseas mean Japan or Hawaii?

In addition, what bases house infantry units that are particularly prestigious, as far as history and current combat status goes?

That's overseas, plus probably Guam soon as well as more USMC assets move there from Okinawa. Not to mention various other fine locations an infantryman could find himself.

All current Marine infantry units are prestigious as far as their history is concerned. The 5th and 6th Marines are different mainly because of the Pogey Rope (Fourragere) they wear when in Dress Blue Alpha & Bravo, and Green Alpha. They earned the award in WWI from the French. 5th Marines are with the 1st MarDiv and the 6th Marines are with the 2d MarDiv.

Caution: Call the Fourragere a "pogey rope" to someone in the 5th or 6th Marines and stand-by for a fight.