PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Company corpsman balances two critical roles

thedrifter
03-13-03, 06:52 AM
Bravo Company corpsman balances two critical roles
Submitted by: 13th MEU
Story Identification Number: 200331218557
Story by Sgt. Mark P. Ledesma

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(March 7, 2003) -- The role of tending to injured Marines on the battlefield is already a great responsibility. To a particular corpsman assigned to, Bravo Company, Battalion Landing Team 1/1, 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit, his secondary duty is welcomed experience.

In addition to being 1st Platoon's corpsman, 21-year-old Seaman Jonathan R. Rodriguez is one of the company's coxswains, an operator of a small, lightweight, inflatable, rugged boat also known as a Combat Rubber Raider Craft.

According to Staff Sgt. Tyrone D. Davis, platoon sergeant for 1st Platoon, Rodriguez was tasked with the responsibility of being a coxswain because the company needed drivers.

"I told him that I would try and get him a seat in one of the EWTGPAC (Expeditionary Warfare Training Group Pacific) courses," said Davis.

Rodriguez got the "luck of the draw" when he was accepted to the Rigid Raiding Coxswain Skills Course, said Davis.

The course was a month and a half long, said Rodriguez. It covered several subjects such as nautical navigation and small boat handling.

"They teach you the history of the boat, how to put it together, parts about the engine and how to repair it if it breaks down," said Rodriguez.

As a coxswain, Rodriguez is responsible for the safety of his boat team. His responsibilities include the safe operation, handling, launch, recovery and maintenance of the Rigid Raiding Craft.

As a coxswain, Rodriguez transports Marines that may not necessarily be in his platoon.

Being a coxswain doesn't get in the way of being a corpsman though, according to the Ontario, Calif., native.

"The only thing the job takes away is time with my platoon during transit from ship to shore," said Rodriguez.

According to Rodriguez, knowing that he is in full control of the boat is one of the most satisfying things about the job.

"I don't think I can trust anyone else's driving but mine," said Rodriguez.

According to Cpl. William D. Garippa, 2nd squad leader, 1st Platoon, Rodriguez's coxswain skills earned him the title of one of the company's few primary drivers.

The company has 18 primary drivers, and the primary coxswains are the best they have, said Davis, who has known Rodriguez for almost six months.

"Doc Rodriguez is one of the best corpsmen I've had a chance to work with in the infantry," said Garippa. "He can keep up with all the physical things we do and he also keeps the Marines 'in-check' when he has to. We are lucky to have him."

Sempers,

Roger