PDA

View Full Version : My MOS

pezzman
06-02-07, 12:00 PM
This morning I was presented, by my recruiter, a request to give my job to a young poolee who will be leaving for boot camp in one week. His job was mistakenly entered as AJ, instead of the correct AG. My recruiters command asked him to find a poolee willing to either swap out jobs with this other poolee, or assign a new one to someone willing to change. I was sympathetic, not knowing if I should be, and told him that is absolutely ok with me because AG was my third choice.

So now being faced with the decision of a different career in the Corps, I would like to take the time (this time) and ask questions about some MOS's. First, thought, I would like to ask if there is any position in which I can be in combat and still use my technical skills, with the high probability of being deployed. I was looking at 1812 (Tank Crewman), but I would like to hear from other Marines what MOS's offer a fine marriage between combat, and technical duties.

Thank you,

Blevins

Marine84
06-02-07, 02:41 PM
They all do.

They teach ALL of you combat - whatever "technical" thing you pick up is just icing on the cake.

It's hard to explain.................EVERYBODY has something to do with the way the wheel turns that makes that big Green Machine run like it does. No matter what your MOS is, you're taught first and foremost how to fight then you get sent off to be taught what your duty will be as far as working that wheel.

Before bootcamp, EVERYBODY is tuned into the same radio station (WIFM - What's In It For ME) and after those 13 short weeks there won't be a thing you wouldn't do for anybody wearing the same uniform. You'll have been put in the right mind to go out and be taught what YOUR part will be and sometimes you'll get to do both at the same time.

Sorry...................did I get too deep?

pezzman
06-03-07, 07:22 PM
Not at all, I completely understand what you mean. It's just a simple matter of what I would like to do with the next 20 years of my life.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-03-07, 07:34 PM
Engineers, communications, etc. will blend the two things you're looking at. 0621 is a technical MOS that could have you in a line company pretty easily. The engineers are out front in this conflict, as they always have been. There are tons of options. I have no idea what AJ, AG, BS, or anyother letter combination means- but I'm sure you can find what you're looking for.