PDA

View Full Version : Questions...

shishka
06-02-07, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. I have a few questions. I've searched for them all, but haven't found anything.

1. Can I have someone enlist as one of my referrals, and then go in on a buddy list contract? Or do can you only go on a buddy contract right when you enlist?

2. Do you have to buy accessories for your weapons, or does the Corps pay for it? (grenade launcher, sights, etc.)

3. Does A.P. credits in high school count for college credits as far as advanced rank (E-2) goes?

Thanks a ton Marines, and I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked before (which I'm sure they have).

I hope someday to be able to call myself a U.S. Marine! Thanks again...

MKinney
06-02-07, 10:14 AM
1) no idea
2) grenade launchers only certain fire team member's use I believe, and as for sights or anything else, it's just the same. You can own you're own 3-point sling though. That's all I think you can purchase yourself.
3) I don't know about AP credits. They do count as college credit, so you can ask. If so, you need 10 credits to get contract PFC outta bootcamp.

shishka
06-02-07, 10:22 AM
Thanks for your answer Private.

And I'm assuming those 10 credits are semester credits? Thanks.

MKinney
06-02-07, 10:25 AM
PFC, and yes semester hours. 1 credit should = 1 semester our.

shishka
06-02-07, 10:33 AM
Sorry about that PFC. Thank again for your answers.

BR34
06-02-07, 12:28 PM
I believe you need 12 credits and they'll work as long as they're lvl 100 or above from an accredited college.

shishka
06-02-07, 08:33 PM
BUMP (for unanswered questions)...

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-02-07, 09:45 PM
1. You don't have to sign up for the buddy program right when you enlist, so you could do that.
2. You won't need to worry about a 203 for quite some time, so don't worry about that. When and if you do need it, the Marine Corps will give you one. Same goes for sights/optics- they will give you what you need.
3. AP classes did not count when I enlisted (at least that's what my recruiter said). That does not mean that things couldn't change. Ask your recruiter- but I would bet that when they say college they mean college.

awb5711
06-05-07, 06:09 PM
Yes...you have to buy your own grenade launcher....this should be obvious since you can pick them up at your local Wal-Mart!!!

Your individual gear issue will be issued to you went you get to your unit. It is up to you if you want to carry it. Most of it is good stuff but after you spend some time in the field and on deployments you will decide what you like better. A lot of Marines will buy their own gear out in town and carry that. I bought a lot of my own gear just because I tried it out and preferred it to the CIF issue gear. Again its personal preference and some units may or may not let you carry your own gear.

And also...if you don't get issued an AT-4 you can go buy your own at Cash Sales.

Zulu 36
06-05-07, 08:03 PM
And also...if you don't get issued an AT-4 you can go buy your own at Cash Sales.

Damn! So that's where I could have gotten a couple. :marine:

chili77bowl
06-05-07, 08:25 PM
Just to kick a dead horse...

Gear is all issued to you, but I prefer my own personal stuff...
and yes, some units won't LET you carry something different from everyone else...
as far as weapons...don't even THINK about carrying a personal weapon into combat (outside of a Ka-Bar)...That will get you into so much trouble...

The only thing you need to be worried about is getting through boot camp...leave the rest of it till later.