PDA

View Full Version : “American Idol” star Josh Gracin to perform at Lake Winnie Sunday

thedrifter
06-01-07, 06:51 PM
“American Idol” star Josh Gracin to perform at Lake Winnie Sunday

06/01/07

Country music singer Josh Gracin will perform at Lake Winnepesaukah’s Jukebox Junction Stage on Sunday, June 3, at 3 and 8 p.m.

His debut album, “Josh Gracin,” captures the world-class voice and performing magic that made him such a star on “American Idol 2.” The album’s energy draws directly from the fire Gracin displays on stage, a place that has long felt like home to him.

“When I’m up on stage,” he said, “it’s like a whole new world for me. I love performing. I’m a firm believer that it’s really great for a singer to have a good voice, but to bring it to another level you have to draw the audience in and make them a part of the music, make them feel what you’re feeling.”

Gracin’s translation from reality show contestant to recording star began when he sang Rascal Flatts’ “I’m Moving On” during one episode. The guys in Rascal Flatts happened to be watching the show on their tour bus that night. Bass player Jay DeMarcus, impressed with Gracin’s talent, called and put him in touch with Marty Williams, who had co-produced both the band’s breakthrough album and its highly successful follow-up. That set in motion a series of events that led to the record deal.

For Gracin, it was the culmination of a lifetime of singing, dreaming and living.

Born and raised in Westland, Mich., about 30 minutes west of Detroit, Gracin grew up listening to his parents’ favorites: Elvis, the Beatles and the vintage rock and pop on a local station. Then, when he was 11, the station’s format changed to country.

“In the weeks and months after that, I really fell in love with country music. Listening to Garth Brooks, Joe Diffie, George Strait and Randy Travis, I really started getting into it,” he said.

Growing up as the only boy among four sisters, Gracin found his parents unwilling to sign a release for him to play sports, so he took up saxophone instead. While still in school, he was part of a talent competition that took him to the stage of the Grand Ole Opry. After high school, he enlisted in the Marines. About two years into his four-year term of the Marines, he saw the first “American Idol” show.

“I hadn’t sung in a couple of years because I was in the Marines, and I thought it might be a good chance for me to get back out there and sing,” he said. He auditioned and was chosen as a finalist in the second year of the series, ultimately placing fourth.

For all the attention and all the fan mail he’s received, and with a single “Nothin’ to Lose” that reached No. 1 at country radio, Gracin remains down-to-earth.

“I don’t see myself as a celebrity at all,” he said. “I’m very shy and not all that self-confident, and I feel like an ordinary person, a normal guy who’s very approachable. And if I get a little carried away, I’ve got my wife to keep me humble and bring me back down to earth.”

All Jukebox Junction concerts are free with admittance to Lake Winnepesaukah. All guests under age 18 must be accompanied by a guest age 18 or older and must purchase either a combination $5 gate admission and $12 value strip of ride tickets or $5 gate admission and $20 unlimited ride pass. Or, they must be a member of a chaperoned group. Guests over 18 must purchase a $5 gate admission and may choose to purchase individual ride tickets or a ride package. Children ages 2 and under are admitted free but must be paid for to ride. Parking is free. Park hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays, and noon to 10 p.m. on Sundays.

For more information, call (706) 866-5681 or toll-free (877) LAKEWIN or visit www.lakewinnie.com.

Ellie