PDA

View Full Version : Reserve to Active

sec9
06-01-07, 04:49 PM
If you go reserves first then augment over to active duty will you keep your Reserve MOS? Im going Reserves first and when I get out of college might want to augment over to active and just wasnt certain how that worked. Thanks.

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 05:39 PM
when you go to active its hard you are goign to have to put in a package and they will evaluate you to see if you are worthy enough its alot like what staff NCO's ahve to do to get rank... It's much easier to go active first time then reserve then it is the other way.. DOnt ask me why but its just a kind of quota or TO they have or somethign

Marine84
06-01-07, 08:34 PM
If you go reserves first then augment over to active duty will you keep your Reserve MOS? Im going Reserves first and when I get out of college might want to augment over to active and just wasnt certain how that worked. Thanks.

I got a question for you...................

You seem to have this whole reserve/school thing figured out. You know A LOT of Reservists are/have been called to AD. My question is: are you prepared to go even though it means school will be put on hold?

rvillac2
06-01-07, 11:32 PM
Killer is right, switching to from reserve to active duty is not an easy switch. You will lose a rank (or two) but will most likely stay in your MOS. The best thing to do is find a Reservist on active duty billet. If you got one of those rare slots, you'd retain your rank.

sec9
06-02-07, 12:19 AM
I got a question for you...................

You seem to have this whole reserve/school thing figured out. You know A LOT of Reservists are/have been called to AD. My question is: are you prepared to go even though it means school will be put on hold?
Yes. The school I will be going to is very lenient with that subject.

Killer is right, switching to from reserve to active duty is not an easy switch. You will lose a rank (or two) but will most likely stay in your MOS. The best thing to do is find a Reservist on active duty billet. If you got one of those rare slots, you'd retain your rank.
Thats funny, when I asked my recruiter about it he said the complete opposite. Not saying what you stated is wrong, Im going to a new recruiter when I move I will be sure to bring up the subject with him as well.

Thanks for the responses.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-02-07, 12:36 AM
Going from active to reserve during a contract is very difficult, if not impossible. However, once your initial tour is over it is very easy to make the change. All I had to do what call the prior service recruiter, sign a couple of pieces of paper, and I was a drilling reservist rather than in the IRR. Unless things have changed, going from reserve to active is very difficult. I saw many good Marines try and fail to make the switch. The few I do know that made it ended up with totally different jobs that they did not get to pick. They were assigned as the needs of the Corps dictated. If you want to be an active duty Marine, you need to enlist that way now.