PDA

View Full Version : Military recruiters up the ante

thedrifter
06-01-07, 08:28 AM
Military recruiters up the ante

By: BRIGID BRETT - For the North County Times

Three years ago, when my son was getting ready to graduate from high school, I wrote a column about the letters of recruitment he was getting from the military. It was 2004 and Operation Iraqi Freedom was a year old. "High school is almost over," said one letter. "And you have some big decisions to make. College, work, or will you have to juggle both to get where you want to go? Where's the adventure in that? We should talk. There are ways I can help you gain valuable hands-on experience. ... With exciting adventures and real life challenges. This is your opportunity to make something of your life ---- something extremely cool."

Hmm.

My daughter is now about to graduate from high school and once again the recruitment letters are pouring in. But these are not letters ---- they are sleek, expensive, graphically stunning packages. They really are cool. An elaborate foldout contraption from the Army entices her to join. "The strength of the Bradley fighting vehicle lies in its steel encased armor," it says. "But the strength of our nation lies in its Soldiers. If you're looking for adventure, challenge and the honor of serving your country, the U.S. Army is for you. As a Soldier, you'll gain the strength, confidence and determination to overcome any obstacle. Armed with the most advanced training and technology available, you'll have the tools you need ... to protect our freedoms, our Nation and our future." Obviously they're assuming that because she's a teenager she doesn't follow the news and hasn't learned just how many obstacles there are ---- both in the war zone that she'd most likely be sent to and then when she comes back home too injured to be of any use to the military and needs physical, emotional and financial support from them.

But they know she's a teenager so they offer her "a free U.S. Army water bottle with no obligation just to send in the enclosed card, call 1-800-705-8784 or visit goarmy.com/info." Summer's almost here ---- who doesn't need an extra water bottle?

The Marine Corps, being the elite corps it is, goes much further and spends much more money in its recruiting efforts than the Army, sending not only a dozen glossy 3-by-5-inch cards with motivating messages and full-colored photos, but the added enticement of a Marine Corps windbreaker ---- also "just for going to Marines.com/my part or calling 1-800-Marines or returning the attached card."

Don't get me wrong. I am humbled and grateful to the thousands of service members for making the sacrifices they are making. And I understand why the military needs to up the ante in its recruitment techniques. It's just that there's something abhorrent about luring kids with jackets and water bottles and then abandoning them when they are too hurt to serve you any longer. The truth about how the military sees our children lies in the choice of words in a 2005 news article on the Department of Defense Web site:

"WASHINGTON, Aug. 10, 2005 ---- A fresh supply of recent high school graduates, more recruiters and more enticing enlistment incentives are being credited with the Army's second straight month of meeting its recruiting goals."

A fresh supply? As the recruiters like to say, we need to talk.

Valley Center resident Brigid Brett is a freelance columnist for the North County Times. Contact her at brigidbrett@aol.com.

Ellie