PDA

View Full Version : Marine continues to fight back home

thedrifter
06-01-07, 08:08 AM
Marine continues to fight back home
Silver Star honoree fights on Sunday's debut of WEC on VERSUS.

By Roy Lang III
rflang@gannett.com

Brian Stann is a hero. He was honored by his country with the Silver Star (the third-highest medal awarded for gallantry in action against enemy forces) for his leadership and bravery in Iraq, where he brought all 42 of his Marines home safely despite a potentially deadly ambush.

The former Navy linebacker prides himself on his ability to detect and exploit the weakness of the enemy, and in the tradition of the Spartan and Samurai warriors, revels in the marriage of hand-to-hand combat and warfare training.

Even Las Vegas is harmless compared to where Stann's been lately, and the 26-year-old will use Sin City to showcase his ability to maneuver and survive a battle.

Sunday, Stann makes his second appearance in World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) — a spinoff of the ultra-popular Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC).

Who wants to get in the cage with this guy? Craig Zellner, a 30-year-old former WWE wrestler. The two will fight during WEC's debut on VERSUS television network. The light heavyweight (205 pounds) match is part of a nine-bout card. The telecast begins at 8 p.m.

"The way I look at fighting is different than other fighters," said Stann, who is so passionate about the sport he negotiated his WEC contract via satellite phone from Iraq. "When I watch tape of fights, I'm not only looking at the fights themselves, but looking at the fighter and trying to pick apart things psychologically about them. The same way I do in warfare— I'm going to try to find the enemy's vulnerability and try to exploit it."

Stann hopes to rekindle Zellner's wrestling days by forcing him to follow one simple script.

"I'm looking for a KO or a TKO," said Stann, who took just 41 seconds to knock out Steve Cantwell during his WEC debut in March. "Overall, a win — whether it comes by submission, standing, on the ground, it doesn't matter right now."

The 6-foot-1, Scranton, Penn., native says "there's not much you can say to hurt me."

There likely are not many situations he can't get out of either, a gift that will only help him as a mixed martial arts fighter, where your opponent often unleashes a plethora of attack styles.

Stann used a heavy bag and some boxing gloves as a "stress reliever" during his down time in Iraq. In May of 2005 the war became real for Stann as he led his Marines into a mission to seize a bridge near Karabilah, Iraq. Things soon got hairy as the enemy staged an ambush.

Stann called for air support and directed fire from tanks while taking on more than 30 rocket-propelled grenade attacks, multiple machine gun fire and the detonation of improvised explosive devices (IEDs).

"As the days went on, we began to use more of our assets," Stann said of the 360-degree fight. "The close air support and tanks dealt a big blow to the enemy."

Maj. Gen. Richard Huck said Stann's "strength and character and endurance" not only led him to be honored by his country, but to the return of his soldiers.

"When you're out there operating and conducting combat missions, you're not thinking about any kind of awards or any pats on the back, you're thinking mission accomplishment and constantly thinking of the safety of your men — where's the best tactical position to place everything in to conduct your operation," Stann said regarding the weeklong operation. "All I cared about was being the best leader of my Marines I possibly could be. Any of the things I do, or fail to do, in combat are going to be a direct result of my absolute passion for leading them, my love for my Marines, my love for the Marine Corps and belief in the mission we had."

Stann maintains contact with at least 30 of the soldiers he went to battle with near Karabilah. Logically, the comrades don't swap war stories.

"I love seeing them succeed, whether they are in the Marine Corps or not," Stann said. "I love hearing about them getting promoted, getting married, having kids."

Stann is now the Company Commander for East Marine Regimental Headquarters Company at Camp LeJeune, N.C.

"We're a headquarters company for a regiment. We have a bunch of different staff sections that are in support of East Marine regiment, which is now support of six infantry battalions," Stann said. "I oversee the day-to-day welfare of the Marines — just making sure things are running well. We do the best we can to support these battalions that are getting ready to deploy for Iraq."

If anyone can prepare green soldiers for what to expect and how to deal with adversity, Stann's the man.

Note: Sunday's main event on VERSUS features a battle for the WEC Featherweight title. Reigning champ and WEC poster boy Urijah Faber (18-1-0) will face Chance Farrar (5-0-0).

Ellie

thedrifter
06-01-07, 08:10 AM
Thursday, May 31, 2007 <br />
Scare tactics won't work on this Marine <br />
Stann faces Zellner on WEC's debut on Versus <br />
By CARLOS ARIAS <br />
The Orange County Register <br />
<br />
To check out the Register's MMA Web page,...

thedrifter
06-01-07, 08:20 AM
No one is better prepared than Stann for battle
Friday, June 01, 2007
BY FRANKLIN McNEIL
Star-Ledger Staff

When fighters speak of going to war before taking on an opponent, a smirk crosses the face of undefeated World Extreme Cagefighting light heavyweight Brian Stann. Despite the hours of training necessary to succeed in the cage, Stann knows better than anyone what it means to do battle.

Stann is a first lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps -- Third Battalion, Second Division -- and has done two tours in Iraq. No one knows better than Stann what it means to be in a war.

So when he steps in the cage Sunday night (Versus at 9) in Las Vegas to face Craig Zellner in a three-rounder, war will be the last thought to cross Stann's mind. What he will think of is ways to stretch his professional record to 4-0-0.

"I'm the only WEC fighter I know of who's been in life-and-death situations on a daily basis. I'm the only one I know of who's been to war twice," Stann said. "War is by far the most complicated and stressful situation known to man and having participated in that makes participating in the cage much simpler.

"A fist fight is nothing in comparison to combat, where every single mission, every single day, lives are at stake. I can't have an off-day in Iraq or people will die.

"Fighting mixed martial arts is a lot simpler than that. It's a competition, a sport between two men. Mentally it's a lot easier for me. I'm not going to die; none of my Marines are going to die. I only have to worry about one guy. There are no bombs, nobody shooting at me."

While throwing punches in the cage doesn't compare to fighting on an Iraqi battlefield, Stann isn't taking his meeting with Zellner lightly. Unless Stann brings his 'A' game he can get hurt, not to mention suffer the first blemish on his resume.

And Zellner is the type of fighter who could give Stann fits. What Zellner lacks in experience -- he has only five pro fights under his belt -- he offsets with raw power.

"He's a big strong guy who muscles his opponents and has finished them rather quickly with superior athleticism and strength," Stann said of Zellner. "He comes out ready to fight from the start. He's not a slow starter."

But neither is Stann. He's often the first to deliver a blow in the cage, which has helped him stop each of his previous opponents quickly. And he expects this fight with Zellner to be no different.

"With the fighting styles both me and Craig have and looking at the records we have it wouldn't surprise me if this fight ended in the first round," Stann said. "I'm a solid striker. I have an ability to knock guys out with my hands. That's my advantage in a fight."

While it's possible Stann can get recalled to Iraq at a moment's notice, he is holding on to his dream of becoming light heavyweight champ. A victory over Zellner is just another step toward that goal. However, becoming world champion will always take a back seat to fighting for his country.

"My first priority is my Marines," Stann said. "My preparation for mixed martial arts will always be in my spare time.

"Everybody who does this wants to be the best. I still have a lot of growing to do in this sport and there are a lot of things for me to learn, but I'd be lying if I told you I don't dream of one day being WEC light heavyweight champion."

Franklin McNeil may be reached at fmcneil@starledger.com

Ellie