PDA

View Full Version : Family remembers selfless Marine

thedrifter
06-01-07, 08:02 AM
Family remembers selfless Marine

Desilets led team to protect fellow troops, mother tells mourners at awards ceremony

Friday, June 1, 2007

By ANDY KRAVETZ
of the journal star

ELMWOOD - On a table outside Elmwood High School's auditorium Thursday was a scrapbook full of memories.

There were pictures from a boy's fourth birthday party, which had a Batman theme. For his fifth birthday, the party featured a Mario Brothers cake.

On another table were hats and other mementos from that boy, now a man, designating his time in the U.S. Marines. A photo album on that table showed his graduation from boot camp and other shots of him in his dress uniform.

Six Marines walked past those tables Thursday afternoon, carrying the coffin of that man, Benjamin Desilets, who was killed May 22 in Iraq.

The 2004 Elmwood High graduate died in the Anbar province of western Iraq, where he was deployed with 3rd Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment. Desilets, 21, had been behind the wheel of a Humvee when he died in the early morning hours.

More than 100 people gathered at the auditorium for an awards ceremony where Desilets was promoted from lance corporal to corporal, a move, Marine officials said, was earned by the Elmwood native. He had accumulated enough time in the lower rank and proved himself as a leader.

The Corps gave his parents and his 3-year-old girl, Kyra, his dog tags. Later, citations for the Purple Heart and the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal were presented to his mother, Brenda Beckman-Desilets, who addressed the crowd and spoke of her son's selflessness.

When he died, Desilets' Humvee was in front, leading the way for his men who were setting up an observation post. He put himself in harm's way, his mother said, to protect his fellow Marines, some of whom were on their first deployment.

"Had he let another person go in front, then another family would be full of grief," she said.

Members of the Patriot Guard Riders stood watch outside the building, holding American flags. Several of them said they came because they wanted to honor Desilets' memory. Others, like Al and Donna Carlson of Galva, felt they had to be there Thursday. They didn't know Desilets, but their son is a Marine and the Corps is a family, they said.

It was tough being there, they both said, but it was the right thing.

"They told us when our son graduated from boot camp, welcome to the family," Donna Carlson said.

Elizabeth Powers, who works in the cafeteria at the high school, remembered Desilets as an ornery kid but a good one. She, too, is part of the Marine family. Her husband, sons and even a grandson were all Marines. She, too, wanted to pay her respects.

Craig Everett, 20, of Elmwood was Desilets' best friend. Desilets was to be his best man, but the deployment to Iraq nixed that. A true buddy, Desilets told him to go on, said Everett.

The two were part of a dirt track racing team. Everett was the driver; Desilets was the mechanic and that was his passion.

"He took it to a level I can't imagine," Everett said.

Desilets' funeral is this morning at the high school. Everett took a drag on his cigarette, paused and shook his head with disbelief at the thought.

"I am still numb. I am happy that he did what he did, but I am depressed that I will never get to see him again," he said. "He was a brother. Blood couldn't bring us as close.

"He was my best friend."

Andy Kravetz can be reached at 686-3283 or akravetz@pjstar.com.

Ellie