PDA

View Full Version : Anthracite Region car cruise at No. 9 mine to benefit wounded marines

thedrifter
06-01-07, 06:08 AM
May 31, 2007

Anthracite Region car cruise at No. 9 mine to benefit wounded marines

By JOE PLASKOjplaskotnonline.com

The Anthracite Region AACA (Antique Automotive Club of America) is teaming with the Number 9 Mine and Museum and the Marine Corps League for a car cruise for a cause.

The Cruise to the No. 9 Mine will be held Saturday, June 2 from 12 noon to 5 p.m. at the mine and museum, 9 Dock Street, Lansford. The rain date in Sunday, June 3.

Proceeds from the cruise will benefit wounded marines programs, said James Laub, commandant of the Schuylkill-Carbon Detachment 626 of the Marine Corps League.

Some of the programs that would benefit include the Bethesda Naval Hospital Project in Bethesda, Maryland, and the Marine Corps Rose program.

All motor vehicles are welcome to participate in the cruise. Dash plaques for the event have been sponsored by Kenny and Jeanie Hill, Hometown, the owners of Ms. Pinkey, their prize 1934 Chevrolet coupe.

There will also be special prices for mine tours for all participants. Tours will be held at 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. The mine is about 54 degrees inside, and appropriate attire includes walking shoes and a light jacket or sweater.

Door prizes will be available and drawings will be held.

For more information on the cruise, call (570) 645-7074. Donations to the Marine Corps programs can be made by contacting Laub at (570) 386-2129.

http://www.tnonline.com/images-articles/saxotech/tn/full_size/125/050/20070531-121727-pic-243375025.jpg

JOE PLASKO/TIMES NEWSThe Anthracite Region AACA (Antique Automotive Club of America) is hosting the Cruise to the No. 9 Mine on Saturday, June 2, from 12-5 p.m. The rain date is Sunday, June 3. Proceeds from the event benefit wounded marines programs. Participating partners in the cruise include, from left, Shawn Frederickson, Anthracite Region AACA cruise director and his daughter, Shelby, with their '53 Willys Jeep; Jeanie and Kenny Hill, Hometown, with Ms. Pinkey, their '34 Chevy coupe; Mike Havrilla, vice president of Anthracite Region AACA, with his '67 Barracuda; James Laub, commandant of Schuylkill-Carbon Detachment 676 of the Marine Corps League; and Dave Kuchta, president of the No. 9 Mine and Museum.

Ellie