PDA

View Full Version : Parents Asked Hide Kids From Military Recruiters!

GyG1345
03-12-03, 03:10 PM
FOXNEWS.COM

Schools Ask Parents to Hide Kids From Military Recruiters

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

SAN FRANCISCO — Two school districts in California have encouraged families to adopt a "don't tell" policy with their children to avoid a federal law that requires schools to notify military recruiters about students reaching enlistment age.

Administrators say they are just making parents aware of a provision in the law that allows them to opt out of having private information handed over to the military.

But critics say the schools involved are acting shamefully by dodging the spirit if not the letter of the law. Because America’s armed forces are all volunteer, supporters of the law say the military must have valid contact information for prospective recruits.

An amendment to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act requires public high schools to give military recruiters the names and phone numbers of juniors and seniors — unless their parents say no. If school officials don’t provide the information, they risk losing millions of federal dollars.

But the San Francisco and Los Angeles school districts are engaged in an active campaign to let parents know they have the right to decline.

"We are complying with the law, but we are also making clear to our parents that … they have the opportunity to opt out of it, to choose not to have private information provided to the military," said Jill Wynns, a San Francisco Board of Education commissioner.

Hugh Hewitt, a syndicated talk radio show host, thinks such actions are deplorable.

"San Francisco has decided to feel good about their own anti-war bias," he said. "They’re going to try to impede the military’s access to the students and spend scarce dollars doing so. That is a shameful sacrificing of the students’ best interest to serve their own political end."

The amendment to the law was added about a year ago because public schools across the country were restricting military access to their students — refusing to provide recruiters with contact information and prohibiting or limiting on-campus military visits.

Defense Department statistics from July 2001 showed that 31 percent of public schools were denying the military access to two or more of their recruiting services.

So the law was tweaked. But now schools are finding other ways to keep the military out of their hallways and away from their kids.

Despite tight education budgets, San Francisco and Los Angeles are spending thousands on letters to students and parents, making it easy to keep names off recruiters’ lists. Some schools in New York and Oregon are trying to do the same.

"Most parents are stunned that the federal government would require private information about children to be given to anybody whose job is to go after them," Wynns said. "We really don’t want them to do that."

Hewitt said such districts should be punished for violating the intent of the law.

"I hope the federal government comes along and does exactly what it said it would do, which is cut off their federal funds," he said.

Fox News’ Claudia Cowan and Catherine Donaldson-Evans contributed to this report.

© Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2003 Standard & Poor's
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright 2003 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.
All market data delayed 20 minutes.

Sixguns
03-12-03, 05:57 PM
BUT THEY CAN'T HIDE!!!!

I won't tell you how many years I have in the recruiting arena, but I do know this.... as a Marine, I will accomplish my mission. So, the school doesn't give me the list. Don't you think I can find it somewhere else??? There are companies that collect student data from websites, applications for scholarships, other offers and giveaways, ring companies, prom photographers etc. Here's a clue... those lists are for sale too!!!!

Once I get my first senior enlistment out of the school, getting other names becomes easier. I had schools that never gave me a list. It was not a show stopper. Marines are resourceful.

What these folks don't understand is if federal money is cut off to the school district, the resources have to come from somewhere. Can you say tax increase?? Salary freeze for educators?? Loss of programs and activities like sports and clubs??? So, just to keep a recruiter from calling their house to talk to little "Johnny" these folks will pay more taxes, watch the quality of their child's education decline and deprive them of clubs and sports and other activities. So, who eally gets hurt in the end??? Not "Mr. Recruiterman."

How hard would it be to teach your child to just say "No thank you" to the recruiter when he calls??? But I guess I must be missing the rest of the story. These folks must be way too smart for me!!!

SF,

Sgt Sostand
03-12-03, 07:15 PM
I think every Man should serve

criggleman
03-12-03, 07:38 PM
Go Figure,
In the land of fruit and nuts, first they spit on the plege now this, it must be the air, water something? When I was growing up I wanted to serve, my grandfather was in WW2, my father was in Nam,my uncle who never made it home. Are these people crazy, boy are they going to take a big s**t when they die go to Heaven and are turned away by the Marines in Dress Blues guarding the Pearly Gates. GOD COUNTRY CORPS

leroy8541
03-12-03, 10:25 PM
When I did my time as a recruiter when the schools wouldn't give me a list ,I would make that school a first priority target. Plan of action was to be sure to show up to ALL school functions, football games, band concerts, etc in full Dress Blues. Make my self highly visable, and do alot of area canvasing and informal interviews. Once word of mouth got out, the schools were usually goldmines of good contacts with young minds wanting to serve their country or sport the Eagle Globe and Anchor. And we got to keep our money.