PDA

View Full Version : WWII vet told me he has no regrets in spite of almost total loss of his company

sdk87to91
05-31-07, 05:45 PM
I was counting the cows for a Forest Service grazing permittee today. His cattle are permitted on the forest June 1, so I go every year over to see his cows and their new calves, I check brands and ear tags.
Today he told me he was in WWII in a horrible battle in Japan where his Army infantry Company got almost wiped out except for 7 men who survived. Apparently the Japanese allowed his company to advance far behind their lines before they opened fire from scattered "holes". He told me he had no regrets and he is glad he was in the service. He had three brothers who also saw action. He said "Someone has to go"

He is now almost totally blind and has diabetes and is receiving good care from the VA, who come out to visit alot. He showed me a machine they gave him to help him read, and said the local clinic is hooked up with them so he does not have to go down to Albuquerque. He kept going on about how he is happy with the VA.

I was impressed and thought as I was driving away I should share this with you all.

Flashgordon
05-31-07, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a cool guy to meet, thanks for sharing.

drumcorpssnare
06-01-07, 11:51 AM
I saw an older gentleman last night at the Olive Garden, who was wearing a "USMC" ball-cap. I gave him a "Semper Fi", and he asked when I served. I told him, and then asked when he served. He said, "1948-1952. Went ashore at Inchon. Got this with the "Frozen Chosin" (points to his feet).
He wore special shoes that accomodated for his amputated toes. "Lost them to severe frostbite." I shook his hand, and thanked him for his sacrifice.
He replied, "I'd do it all again, if I had to."

Semper Fi Mac

drumcorpssnare:usmc: