View Full Version : My experience with `the few and the proud'

thedrifter
05-31-07, 08:13 AM
Posted on Thu, May. 31, 2007
My experience with `the few and the proud'

By Cassia Myers

McClatchy Newspapers

(MCT)

I awoke smiling, easing out of warm, comforting blankets, though it was 6 a.m. on a Saturday. I'd been anticipating this day for weeks: the day I could follow in the footsteps of real Marines.

It was the morning of Jane Wayne Day, annually hosted by the Marine Aircraft Group 41 (MAG-41) for the past three years at the Naval Air Station - Joint Reserve Base (NAS JRB) in Fort Worth, Texas.

According to event coordinator Capt. Chris Story, Jane Wayne Day seeks to allow the spouses and families of MAG-41 Marines to "step into our boots for a day," catching a glimpse of a Marine's life. Though I have no family members in the Marines, I was privileged to attend with my pal Rochelle, whose father, Lt. Col. Underwood, recently returned from Iraq.

GETTING DRESSED FOR THE OCCASION

After a quick breakfast, Rochelle and I slipped into her dad's camouflage utility shirts (that fit us like jackets) marked with "U.S. Marines." Then it was off to NAS JRB for Jane Wayne Day's opening ceremonies. My friend and I donned silver dog tags printed with our names and stood among other cammie-clad women during briefing.

We all soon realized that "Jane Wayne Day" was not for the faint of heart: the cold, rainy morning had kept half of the expected guests from attending. "You're the few, the proud!" affirmed the commanding officer.

Rochelle and I met our guide, Staff Sgt. Spencer, who quickly assigned call signs (like "Princess" and "Sidekick") to the members of our group. (A call sign is a permanent nickname given to each Marine for a silly and/or memorable act). After posing for a goofy picture, Roch and I were dubbed the "Charlie's Angels."

Each group member was given a bulletproof vest and helmet to wear throughout the day.

SHOOTING, PROTECTING AND FLYING

Our first station was the pistol range, where we were instructed how to properly load and shoot a 9 mm M9. The range consisted of 10 firing lanes, computer automated to move each target a specific distance. Having never fired a real weapon in my life, I was quite uneasy. BANG! BANG! The echoes of gunshots filled the air; empty shells burst from the pistols. If I closed my eyes, I could imagine myself in a scene from "24" (and was quite thankful for earplugs!) Amazingly enough, I hit nine of 10 rounds actually on the target (one even made the bulls eye)! "You were all outfrikinstanding!" announced our range instructor.

Our group's next stop was "Nuclear Biological Chemical Training," where we tried on the protective gear Marines wear in case of exposure to toxic and/or harmful substances. Each level of protection is called a MOPP (Mission Oriented Protective Posture). Rochelle and I wore MOPP Level 4 (used in the most dangerous situations) consisting of over-trousers, a thick overjacket, gloves, boot covers (or in my case, tennis-shoe covers), and a heavy airtight mask. Can you imagine wearing such an outfit for a week? Talk about claustrophobic!

The third station proved to be very interactive: we flew two aircraft simulators and peered through Marine NVG's (Night Vision Goggles). Rochelle and I ended up crashing both the F-18 and C-130 simulators (oops!) but enjoyed seeing the flashing red screen and flying debris. (In real life, an F-18 Hornet can cost $52 million. The C-130, impressively, is a cargo plane that can refuel jets and helicopters while still in flight.) After that ordeal, we handled the $8,000 NVG's (that allow Marines to see light, objects, and infrared signals at night) with extreme care.

LESSONS FROM `S.S.S.'

Lunch consisted of MRE's (meals ready-to-eat) that Marines consume while on the field (and which can last on the shelf for years). The seemingly small amount of food in each MRE totals 2,000 calories. Luckily, I didn't finish all of mine, but as the Commanding Officer said, "In combat, the fat get skinny, and the skinny die." Each package contains a "main course" (like ravioli, fajitas or a veggie burger), a side, bread, condiments, a powdered drink and dessert. Rochelle did not enjoy her MRE at all, but it was food at least, and I was hungry. Staff Sgt. Spencer, however, had no qualms about savoring his Burger King in front of us.

But "S.S.S." was kind enough to show the group the hangar where he works as an F-18 mechanic.

"The engine works like this," he grinned, "Suck, squeeze, bang, blow!" 1) Suck: The jet intakes air into its turbine; 2) Squeeze: The air is compressed; 3) Bang: the jet fuel mixes with air and heat; 4) Blow: the F-18 releases exhaust.) He also informed us the F-18 produces 16,000 pounds of thrust.

Roch and I learned more about weapons and machinery at the next two stations. My favorite of the several simulated rifles we fired (without bullets) was the M-240, a machine gun that could hit objects 1,600 meters away. Shivering in the cold, I steered and operated a RTCH (Rough Terrain Container Handler), a backhoe bucket loader, and a 50,000-pound forklift.

Our final stop, Marine Corps Martial Arts, was the perfect conclusion to Jane Wayne Day. Marine instructors taught the group a variety of kicks, punches and other great moves, allowing plenty of practice time. Each group member ran a "gauntlet" of sorts, performing each maneuver on different Marines as quickly as possible. I was sore and breathless, but happy.

Back in the ceremonial hangar, the Marine Corps treated the Jane Wayne Day participants to a barbecue dinner. ("Real food!" Rochelle exclaimed) and applauded us for our effort and persistence. Afterward, I returned home in search of much needed rest.

The day taught me that a Marine's life is truly far, far from easy. The men and women of the Marine Corps sacrifice so much for the safety and security of our nation - they deserve our respect, and our trust.

The Semper Fi ("Always Faithful") Marines have certainly earned mine.

Ellie