PDA

View Full Version : Turkey asks U.S. not to violate airspace again

jetdawgg
05-30-07, 12:52 PM
Incident involving two F-16s reveals tension between NATO partners

ANKARA - Turkey asked the United States formally on Tuesday to avoid another violation of its airspace after an incident that exposed tensions between the NATO allies.

Last week, two U.S. F-16 warplanes briefly infringed Turkish airspace near the Iraqi border. U.S. diplomats say the incident was an “accident.” Turkish media say it was intended to send a message to Ankara not to send its troops into northern Iraq.

“After we received detailed technical information from the General Staff on the incident, the necessary diplomatic initiative was made today in the presence of (a representative of) the U.S. Embassy,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

A Turkish Foreign Ministry official told Reuters: “In the note given (to the embassy representative) it was requested that this kind of incident not be repeated.”
In Washington, U.S. State Department spokesman Tom Casey told reporters the planes had inadvertently violated Turkish airspace for “a couple of minutes” and that the United States was investigating and would seek to prevent any recurrence.
“We are going to make sure we thoroughly look into this and make sure that there are no further incidents of this kind,” he said. “Obviously we don’t want to do anything that would violate Turkish airspace or infringe in any way on their rights.”

The Kurdish issue

The incident has coincided with increased media speculation in Turkey, which faces a national election in July, of a possible Turkish military incursion into northern Iraq to crush Turkish Kurdish rebels hiding there.
The rebels use northern Iraq as a springboard to attack military and security targets inside Turkey. Ankara has long urged U.S. and Iraqi forces to crack down on the rebels.

Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said on Friday there were no preparations in parliament to give approval to send troops into Iraq. In its statement on Tuesday, the Foreign Ministry said it was working closely with the General Staff on the issue.

Turkish newspapers have suggested the two institutions have not been coordinating their actions. The General Staff recently helped prevent Gul, a former Islamist, being elected president

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18924829/

drumcorpssnare
05-30-07, 01:44 PM
How do you say, "Lick me", in Turkish?:banana:

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Sgt Leprechaun
05-31-07, 12:01 AM
"Molon Labe"

Hmmm.....lets see, how about we withold any further payments for various things. Or help the Kurds establish a righteous state on their border....

ggyoung
05-31-07, 10:35 AM
goble, goble,goble

10thzodiac
05-31-07, 11:09 AM
Just as long as the Turks don't violate American air space !

God Bless the American Empire !

10thz

Before some backwoods redneck starts agreeing with me, I'm just being facetious http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

drumcorpssnare
05-31-07, 01:55 PM
We have wild turkeys here in central NY. If I see any flyin' around, I will scramble the 174th Fighter Wing here at Hancock Field, Syracuse.:D

10thzodiac
05-31-07, 01:59 PM
We have wild turkeys here in central NY. If I see any flyin' around, I will scramble the 174th Fighter Wing here at Hancock Field, Syracuse.:D

As long as you don't call the FBI (9/11) :D

ggyoung
05-31-07, 04:12 PM
I have killed 5-6 millon turkeys at the Moroni turkey prossecing plant in Moroni, Utah. Send some more and I'll let the younger people slit there throwits(sp) There are also big turkey prosecing plants N.C. and Min.

mrbsox
05-31-07, 04:59 PM
Just as long as the Turks don't violate American air space !

God Bless the American Empire !

10thz

Before some backwoods redneck starts agreeing with me, I'm just being facetious http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

ALMOST.... ALMOST had me thinking there was hope for you, Sergeant.

I enjoy a little jocularity as much as the next man.

10thzodiac
05-31-07, 05:30 PM
ALMOST.... ALMOST had me thinking there was hope for you, Sergeant.

I enjoy a little jocularity as much as the next man.

Correction, I was a corporal with 33 months in grade.

Being jocular, I told them I'd re-enlist if they'd make me a sergeant first.

Trust your survival instincts not hope http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

jetdawgg
05-31-07, 07:01 PM
NATO is not as friendly as it used to be. Could be due to the reason that we are stuck in Iraq with our troops, both allies and enemies are getting bolder