PDA

View Full Version : Master gunnys to attend sgt. maj. symposium

thedrifter
05-29-07, 07:21 PM
Master gunnys to attend sgt. maj. symposium
By John Hoellwarth - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday May 29, 2007 16:10:46 EDT

The Corps’ senior enlisted Marine wants master gunnery sergeants to participate in this year’s sergeants major symposium, slated to run from July 30 to Aug. 3, according to a Corps-wide message released Monday.

In AlMar 028/07, Sgt. Maj. Carlton Kent, sergeant major of the Marine Corps, tapped 46 sergeants major and listed a dozen master gunnys who “are requested to attend” the annual forum for enlisted issues.

In an April 27 interview with Marine Corps Times, two days after assuming the Corps’ top enlisted spot, Kent said that even though “there is friction sometimes” between the Corps’ senior enlisted ranks, “I respect master gunnery sergeants to the utmost.”

Kent said he anticipated that bringing master gunnys to the symposium “might not be popular among some sergeants major, but that’s OK.”

During the meeting, Kent cited the professionalism of the master gunnery sergeants at his last command, I Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Pendleton, Calif., which will be represented at the symposium by Master Gunnery Sgt. Jose Garcia.

“Those master gunnery sergeants have a lot of knowledge and experience. They do great things, and they’re a team,” Kent said. “So this year at the sergeants major symposium, I will bring master gunnery sergeants in to brief us on certain issues, and they will be part of the symposium.”

Master Gunnery Sgt. Todd Carnaghi, the occupational field sponsor for the Corps’ aviation wrench turners, was among the 12 technical experts asked to join the sergeants major at this year’s symposium.

Kent “is breaking new ground” by including master gunnys, though their exact role at the symposium is “still in discussion,” Carnaghi said.

He said master gunnery sergeants typically don’t get too involved in the administrative issues that sergeants major handle, but having technical experts at the symposium is important because “the things they discuss don’t just impact sergeants major.”

Carnaghi said he’s eager to participate in a forum where he can learn from sergeants major and potentially share his perspective as one of the aviation community’s senior mechanics.

“It’s definitely not an invitation you want to turn down,” Carnaghi said. “I’m thankful for the opportunity, and we’re going to participate and come with a notepad and open ears.”

“Change is good,” said Master Gunnery Sgt. Patrick Arbec, Marine Corps Recruiting Command’s operations chief, who was also selected by name for a seat at the symposium. “By inviting [master gunnery sergeants], you’re bringing in knowledge about what is happening throughout the Corps at the ground level. I’m honored to be invited.”

Kent said in April that bringing master gunnys to the table will lend weight to recommendations forwarded to Commandant Gen. James Conway as a result of the symposium.

If the Corps’ entire senior enlisted community can come together and speak with one voice, “I can tell you, that’s a powerful thing,” Kent said.

Agenda items for the symposium are due to Kent’s office by June 23, according to the message.

Ellie