PDA

View Full Version : Gunny Prepares Students to Stand on Yellow Footprints of Life

thedrifter
03-12-03, 07:06 AM
by Cpl. Ryan J. Skaggs
Marine Corps News
March 11, 2003

NEW RIVER, N.C. -- Ronald Reagan was quoted as saying, "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

For one Marine, the truth of this statement extends further than his life in the Corps.

Gunnery Sgt. James W. Lindell, a Wilmington, Del., native, helps seniors in high school get off on the right foot in the business world and helps those who have lost their way get back on their feet.

Lindell enlisted in the active-duty ranks of the Marine Corps in 1985, following his graduation from Newark High School, Newark, Del.

"I always wanted to be a Marine," reminisced Lindell, maintenance controller, Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-772, Marine Aircraft Group-26, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing. "I saw my uncle in his dress blues and I wanted a pair of my own."

The first four years of his enlistment were spent in Hawaii with HMH-463, MAG-24, 1st MAW, as a flight line helicopter mechanic.

"It was definitely good being in Hawaii," smirked Lindell, "but I wanted to do something more with myself."

In 1990, Lindell traded in his active-duty sea bag for a book bag to pursue a college education by making the transition to the reserves. He elected criminal justice as his major and minored in sociology at the University of Delaware, Newark, Del. With one year nearly complete, Lindell's quest came to a halt. He activated with his unit HMH-772, MAG-49, 4th MAW at Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base, Willow Grove, Penn., in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1991.

"It was a disappointment to leave school," remarked Lindell, "but Uncle Sam told me I needed to be somewhere, and I went."

Following a 10-month deployment in support of Operations Desert Shield/Storm, Lindell returned to Delaware to re-embark on his studies. In 1995, Lindell earned a bachelor's degree in criminal justice and a minor in sociology. He went from local jailhouse to jailhouse filling parole officer positions and even enrolled in a police academy.

"I was doing well, but it wasn't working for me," said Lindell.

Lindell took a position as a security officer with Maryland Bank National Association and gradually climbed the ladder to account manager of customer service, but the job didn't suffice.

"I just wasn't corporate material," shrugged Lindell. "I wanted a job that would offer me more than a salary."

While skimming through ads in the Delaware News Journal, Lindell inquired about a teaching position at Delcastle Technical High School in Newport, Del. Ironically, the class taught the fundamentals of developing work ethics in maintaining a career.

"Here I am jumping from one job to another, and now I am going to instruct others on the opposite," joked Lindell between laughs.

Lindell began teaching the curriculum to high school seniors during the day and followed up in the evening with night school classes for returning students.

"Teaching is awesome," exclaimed an enthused Lindell. "It's a self-gratifying job that allows me to use innovative techniques individually for each student. It's amazing when you can take someone who says 'I can't' and help them figure it out."

According to Lindell, young students have many opportunities in life, but some lead them to dead ends. Eddie Hunter, an inner-city student with a lot of options, failed when he opted to drop out of school. He returned to Lindell with limited options, a son and partially paralyzed from a car accident.

"He turned himself around," smiled Lindell. "I drove him to work harder, and I helped him help himself accomplish the goals he set."

On Jan. 28, 2002, Lindell activated with HMH-772 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and other contingencies.

"Here we go again," laughed Lindell.

His unit attached to the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) and joined operations with Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa. However, Lindell stayed here with the remaining members of the squadron, approximately 65 Marines. The "mini detachment" supports other squadrons with 2nd MAW and conducts ground training flight operations for 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune, N.C., to prepare for possible deployment.

Although Lindell remains focused on the mission at hand, his heart remains with his students.

"I look forward to whatever the Marine Corps has in store for me," explained Lindell. "But I am anticipating my return to teaching. It's just incredible what you can get back from giving to the students."

The Drifter

jdewiii
03-21-03, 12:50 PM
Great to hear about that story. I'm new to this board as I've been just reading the vast amounts of information to help set me in the right direction for when I enlist. It is also great to hear about this Marine since it is a local story, I too hail from Wilmington.

jdewiii
03-21-03, 12:52 PM
Sorry if I forgot to sign the above post.
Joe Dewson

jdc.gunny
09-09-05, 05:10 PM
Going to dig out my cruise book when I get home, Lindell and I were on the same "all Marine Wing tour" in '91. I was with HMH-772 Det. B in Dallas.

Sgt6173
06-02-06, 12:17 AM
or maybe me Cpl Forst. I am really glad you made such a success out of your self.

Semper Fi
:flag:
Sgt. Chris Forst