PDA

View Full Version : Maggard receives Purple Heart for service in Iraq

thedrifter
05-28-07, 06:44 PM
Maggard receives Purple Heart for service in Iraq
By Lance Cpl. Christopher Lyttle

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — A Corsicana native received a Purple Heart Medal during a ceremony here, May 18, for wounds sustained while performing combat operations in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Seaman Aaron P. Maggard, a Navy corpsman assigned to Company E, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, came upon an improvised explosive device that exploded in the middle of the road, while patrolling on foot in Reyanah, Iraq, Sept. 9, 2006.

“We were almost done with our mission that day when the IED went off,” Maggard said. “I ran over to give aid to the two Marines I saw that were hurt.”

Maggard’s selfless reaction to provide medical assistance to two Marines and an Iraqi soldier had him so focused, he didn’t notice his own wound until another Marine pointed it out to him.

“Someone told me I had blood on my face,” Maggard said. “I took a blast of shrapnel to the right side, some of which is still in my jaw today.”

Maggard received treatment in Al Asad, Iraq, and later went to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany for one week.

Lt. Col. Kenneth M. DeTreux, the battalion commanding officer, presented Purple Heart Medals to Maggard and 24 other Marines and Navy corpsmen for their individual sacrifices made in Iraq.

Maj. Sean Riordan, the battalion executive officer, spoke highly of the individuals being honored.

“Our battalion had nearly 1-in-6 Marines wounded in Iraq,” Riordan said. “To say the least, our area of operations was challenging. It is humbling to serve with such brave men.”

Riordan added that awarding the Marines and sailors their Purple Heart Medals is a visible sign of the nation’s appreciation for their sacrifice and contributions.

“I encourage everyone at home, from California to Maine, to find one of their local wounded warriors and say thanks,” Riordan said.

Maggard’s previous deployment lasted from July to October 2006. His next deployment eligibility is pending due to his medical status, but he forever gained the respect and appreciation from his Marines because of his heroic actions.

The original story describing Maggard’s tour in Iraq was released Oct. 11, 2006, and can be found in the archives of www.imef-fwd.usmc.mil.

Ellie