PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Marines Deploy To Iraq

thedrifter
05-28-07, 07:00 AM
Memphis Marines Deploy To Iraq

Last Update: May 27, 2007 7:28 PM

Posted By: Dana Rebik

This Memorial Day is taking on new meaning for one Memphis woman, whose fiancé is on his way to Iraq.

Lance Corporal Steven Little is part of the Marine's Kilo Company 323 out of Memphis. He proposed just before he left for training this week and now his fiancé begins a year long journey without him.

Christi Craig says she's always supported the troops, but now that she's engaged to a Marine, that feeling is hitting a whole lot closer to home.

"It's gonna be a lot more tense. I'm gonna be worrying constantly," says Craig.

Craig said good bye to her fiancé, Lance Corporal Steven Little on Thursday. He, along with 200 other local Marines are headed for Iraq. This is Little's first deployment during his three years as a Marine reservist.

"Once he goes I don't watch any news. All you hear is the bad stuff going on over there all the people getting hurt and I don't want to subject myself to that," says Craig.

Craig can't help but be nervous, but is extremely proud of her fiancé. She wishes more people would think of men like Lance Corporal Little on Memorial Day, men who are willing to put their lives on the line for our country.

“I really wish they would remember the contribution made and the sacrifices because there are a lot not only for the soldiers but the families as well. I'm so proud of him and everybody over there doing what they do. I'm very proud to be with him."

Christi and Steven have known each other since high school. They are getting married in October 2008. He will serve a 12 month stint overseas.

Kilo Company 323 is now training at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Next the company will do desert training in California before members are deployed to Iraq in September.

Ellie