PDA

View Full Version : Bush urges US rededication to fight for freedom

thedrifter
05-27-07, 05:11 AM
Bush urges US rededication to fight for freedom

By Deb Riechmann, Associated Press | May 27, 2007

WASHINGTON -- President Bush urged Americans to use Memorial Day to rededicate themselves to fighting for freedom around the world and to pray for US troops serving overseas.

"In Iraq and Afghanistan, millions have shown their desire to be free," Bush said yesterday in his weekly radio address. "We are determined to help them secure their liberty. "

Tomorrow, Bush is set to mark his sixth Memorial Day as a wartime president with a visit to Arlington National Cemetery.

"From Valley Forge to Vietnam, from Kuwait to Kandahar, from Berlin to Baghdad, brave men and women have given up their own futures so that others might have a future of freedom," he said. "Because of their sacrifice, millions here and around the world enjoy the blessings of liberty. And wherever these patriots rest, we offer them the respect and gratitude of our nation."

Bush talked about Sergeant David Christoff Jr. of Rossford, Ohio, one of at least 3,431 US military members who have died in the Iraq war. Christoff signed up for the Marines the day after the Sept. 11 attacks, saying he didn't want his brother and sister to "live in fear," Bush said.

Christoff was sent to Iraq, where he fought in Fallujah and earned a Purple Heart . He was killed in Iraq last May .

"On Memorial Day, we rededicate ourselves to freedom's cause," Bush said.

For their radio address, Democrats called on Elliot Anderson of Las Vegas, who spent four years with the Marine Corps, including a stint in Afghanistan.

"I strongly oppose our involvement in Iraq's civil war, but I am still proud of my service to my country," he said.

"But I know I speak for many of my friends overseas when I say that the best way to honor the troops is to responsibly end our involvement in Iraq's civil war ."

Ellie