PDA

View Full Version : Egbert Brady

thedrifter
05-26-07, 07:43 AM
Egbert Brady
Saturday, May 26, 2007
By SANDRA JOHNSON
sjohnson@sjnewsco.com

Egbert Brady felt he was just doing his duty when he was drafted by the Marines when he was in college.

In 1942, he was one of the first African-American Marines in the country.

That feeling of duty continued when he was called to serve through World War II, the Korean Conflict and three tours in Vietnam.

On Sunday, for his many years of service and dedication, Brady, now 84 and a Vineland resident, will be inducted in the Cumberland County Black Hall of Fame.

"I feel honored, but I don't feel that I did anything special," Brady said. "I was only doing something I love to do.

"I enjoyed being a part of the military."

Smith loved the camaraderie during his time in the service.

"You were doing something for your country, and I would do it all over again," he said.

The most memorable thing in Smith's career was seeing the Marines progress.

In 1942, Smith first served with dignity and courage during a difficult time when African-Americans soldiers were not recognized or respected.

"When I went in, it was very segregated," he said. "Now, they've got generals. I was just glad I stayed in there.

"I wasn't comfortable (at first), but it gives you a lot of determination to make it anyway."

So determined, in fact, that he has received numerous awards and medals since then.

The most notable of these include: The Navy Marine Corps Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, Navy Unit Citation, Good Conduct Medal with two stars, Asiatic Pacific Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, American Theater, World War II Victory Medal, Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation, and the Korean Presidential Unit Citation.

After the military, Brady was an insurance appraiser for 30 years, just recently retired.

He is presently the oldest member of the Semper Marine Department, as their judge advocate, and formerly its Post Commandant.

In addition, Brady is Junior Vice Commander of the American Legion Post 4, and is a member of the Marine Corps League, United Veterans Council, Veterans Cemetery Commission, the Hand Foundation, and serves as president of Vineland Crime Stoppers. He is also an usher and member of St. Francis of Assisi church.

Born in St. Louis, Mo., Brady spent a majority of his life in California before moving to Vineland in 1977.

He is the father of one son, Egbert Brady Jr., and a daughter, Sheila Dailey, both now retired and living in St. Louis, Mo.

He married Anna Mae Jeffers in 1985, and has six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Ellie