PDA

View Full Version : Mindoro Island

3BadgeMarine
03-11-03, 12:49 PM
Way back into the mist of time 1964,I was very fortunate to be a part of the unit to be put ashore on the Island of Mindoro Philippines,we were to be attached to a USMC Battalion for the duration of a small exercise,prior to landing from the assault ship HMS Bulwark I had secretly stored away my 'rum' ration in the second water bottle carried on the equipment the rum ration stored was fortified with dried fruit (gives it a body).During one of the jaunts around the Island we had stopped for a breather,I sat down alongside a US Marine pulled out the water bottle containing (Nelsons Blood),I could see that the Marine was interested in what I was drinking,with a twinke in me eye I offered the guy a swig! on taking a gulp I could see his eyes light up like a pin ball machine? the Marine Gasped a big WOW, I had made a friend for life?.I returned to the ship after the exercise in the uniform of a sergeant in the USMC my own uniform had been given away including the Green Beret,as I boarded the Bulwark I was grabbed by the detachment sergeant Major who remarked you're on the wrong ship son it took awhile to convince him who I was.Aye JR

lurchenstein
03-12-03, 01:55 AM
Interesting combination of shirt & trousers. (Certainly Marine, though.):marine:

3BadgeMarine
03-12-03, 04:24 AM
Chris,Rather than go back aboard 'Bare buff',you have to wear what you can,and if the sergeant was good enough to outfit me in the half and half,well.I still want me JGs back he can keep the beret? and he can have the empty cigar boxes (king edwards) back.Aye jr

Rob Parry
03-14-03, 03:25 PM
JR, we were returning to the Bulwark from Crete when the Regimental Sgt Major, Spike Kelly roared down from the boat deck. "ALL water bottles empty them NOW" we had of course topped them up in the local tavernas prior to reembarkation. Barsteward!

Sticky blue
03-22-03, 03:39 PM
Sgt Major's don't you just love them??

Errm... Depends who's asking!

firstsgtmike
03-22-03, 05:12 PM
Oct. 1964

1st Bn, 8th Marines went on maneuvers to Spain. We found a winery that would fill our 5 gal. jeep carried water cans with white wine for $0.50. (I prefer red).

On the march, we learned a sad lesson. T'was better to have water, NOT wine in our canteens (water bottles).

Before returning home, our ship, the Boxer, made two liberty ports.

One was Plymouth, England. We were the first US warship to arrive there since WWII. The townsfolk came out to greet us and every Marine (and sailor) leaving the ship for liberty was invited to a family home for Sunday dinner.

Our Recreation Officer had set up tours for us, and I was able to spend three days and two nights in London. I left the "tour" and visited Soho, which I preferred to museums and cathedrals.

I learned about the "nude" shows where the girls were not allowed to move on stage. The curtain opened, the nude girls were in a pose. After a minute or two, the curtain closed while the girls changed position before the curtain opened again.

I left, and wandered off down the street. A pitchman in front of another nude showplace promised that I would see things that I had never seen before.

I asked, "Does she xxxx a donkey on stage?"

"Does she WHAT? But you will see her titties".

"Does she squat and impale a liter coke bottle, bottom end first?"

"Does she WHAT? But you will see her pussy".

"You lose. Been there, done that. You can't show me anything that I haven't seen before."

It was a fun night, on the town in London.

Sticky blue
03-22-03, 05:27 PM
Sadly Soho is pretty much a rip off place!!

Having been to various places of 'adult entertainment suited to a service man' it is very low on the chart.

My dad, a Royal Navy Submariner, was tasked with sorting out his captain's car when they arrived in port. Dad dutifully filled the radiator up and the other areas of the engine that needed water. He then got the skipper and drove him to his residence after informing him that the car was 'serviced as per his instructions' and they should depart ready for the party.

When the arrived at his residence (bearing in mind that there was rationing still going on) the skippers said 'de-service the car before the guests arrive'.

My dad got some empty bottles and removed all of the 'water' and poured it into more suitable bottles... Gin from the radiator and rum from the false bottom in the back of the car as well as a few other spirits from various other areas of the car! The things they had to do to get things out of the Naval base!!

steve evans
03-23-03, 05:06 AM
Well remember serving on HMS Fearless 1977/8.

Arrived in Alexandra Egypt. 4 Hours later was in USMC bar at the USA consulate!

My but we had fun over three days. Invited a few of our fellow Marines on board.

They were then introduced to the joys of Tennants Larger.

Mess deck was 4L2 (38 mess). One old American Marine couldn't believe he was drinking on a warship!

Just kept saying 'Sh*t you guys are unreal, yes please I will try another can'!

Aye steve evans

Derek Blevins
03-23-03, 02:04 PM
I was based in Malaya, Burma Camp in 1963. Opposite was the Jungle Warfare School.
One evening in the Sgt's Mess a US Marine walked in the door from the Jungle Warfare School, and announced, 'I am Staff Sgt Tim O'Connor, United States Marine Corps, based at Okinawa, Hi fellow Marines. He was the first I had met, and he was a great representative of your Corps. I hope he made it through the years that followed.