PDA

View Full Version : 26th MEU nears end of its float

thedrifter
05-26-07, 07:40 AM
May 26, 2007 - 12:00AM
26th MEU nears end of its float

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
From Africa to Kuwait, Col. Gregg Sturdevant says the Marines and sailors of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit have done a top-notch job during their deployment.

"I'd like (the public) to know how proud I am of the MEU's performance and how appreciative the Marines and sailors are of the great support we've received," he said by e-mail.

Morale is high among the troops as they finish a final exercise and then conduct a wash-down of all the aircraft and vehicles in preparation for their return, he said.

"We've been extremely busy, which I think helps a great deal (with morale); we've completed three theater security cooperation exercises and two and a half weeks of sustainment training in Kuwait during the past four months," Sturdevant said.

The 2,200-strong group left Jan. 5 for a six-month deployment as the ready reserve force within European and Central Command to support operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Horn of Africa if called upon.

They are expected to return at the end of June or early July, with the advance party leaving in about two weeks.

Though the Marines and sailors of the MEU never entered Iraq or Afghanistan, they recently completed training at Camp Buehring in Kuwait in combat medicine, evasive driving, weapons qualifications, techniques to land helicopters in dust storms and detecting and disarming improvised explosive devices, Sturdevant said in a letter to the 26th MEU families.

"Although we did not get into Iraq, we are content that we strengthened alliances with Djibouti, Kenya, Qatar and Kuwait and that our efforts have contributed directly toward long-term success in the War on Terror," Sturdevant wrote.

Those exercises have been the most significant part of the deployment, he said.

"Each country had something different to offer and they all gave us a chance to work on interoperability with our partners and improve regional stability," Sturdevant said. "The MEU personnel really enjoyed having the opportunity to go ashore and train with other military units and learn about different cultures."

Marines and sailors with the MEU have been working hard and are looking forward to coming home to reunite with their families, he said.

Aubrey Rogers, wife of Lance Cpl. Nathan Rogers, is excited, too.

"I can't contain myself - I've been preparing in every way that I possibly can," she said. "I've been making a grocery list of food items to have to make him his favorite meals, and I decorated my house and spring cleaned it."

Rogers is getting through the next month by staying busy with her online business nad 3-year-old daughter, she said.

"Also, the key volunteers and the military as a whole has been really helpful in keeping us informed and helping us through the deployment," she said. "The get-togethers and the deployment workshops and briefs are good."

Each of the 26th MEU families are preparing for the big day with a number of family events, including a reunion brief, movie day, kids day and sign-making event. Those are important for families in their preparation, said Gunnery Sgt. Sylvia Grinage, the remain-behind family readiness staff non-commissioned officer.

"There's a lot of anticipation involved," she said. "We're preparing the barracks rooms for our single Marines and contacting the USO to have rack packs, goodie bags on the single Marines' beds when they get here."

Grinage, whose husband is deployed with another unit, is busy contacting family members to let them know about upcoming events and, of course, the homecoming.

"The toughest part is giving them a time and date because we don't know the exact date," she said. "Even when they do give us a date, anything can happen."

That leads families on a "roller coaster of emotions," she said, taking them from excitement to fear.

"Six months is a long time, and people get used to their independence," Grinage said. "We just remind them to take things one day at a time. Don't expect family life to be the way it was when he left because there are going to be a lot of family changes. Just take time to rebuild and renew your relationship all over again."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie