PDA

View Full Version : Antiwar protesters trash 9/11 memorial

thedrifter
03-11-03, 12:08 PM
Antiwar protesters trash 9/11 memorial
American flags burned and slashed
By Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell, Staff Writer

LA HABRA -- Antiwar protesters burned and ripped up flags, flowers and patriotic signs at a Sept. 11 memorial that residents erected on a fence along Whittier Boulevard days after the terrorist attacks in 2001 and have maintained ever since.

However, although officers witnessed the vandalism Saturday afternoon, police did not arrest three people seen damaging the display because they were "exercising the same freedom of speech that the people who put up the flags were,' La Habra Police Capt. John Rees said Monday.

"For this to be vandalism, there had to be an ill-will intent,' he said.

Rees said in order for police to take any action, the owner of the fence would have to file a complaint.

Jeff Collison, owner of The RV Center in La Habra, who has allowed residents to add patriotic symbols to the fence on his property, said he just might do that.

"Their free speech stops at destruction of private property. If they are allowed to come on my property and burn flags, does that mean I can go to City Hall or the police station and light their flags on fire because that is freedom of speech? To me, this is vandalism,' Collison said.

Some residents Monday hung signs criticizing those who destroyed the display.

Tracey Chandler, a Whittier mother of four who has maintained the spontaneous memorial since it was created by other area residents soon after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, said she was shocked by the destruction.

"They trashed 87 flags, ripped 11 memorial tiles made by myself and my children out of the ground and glued the Bob Dylan song to a sign that said, 'America, land of the brave, home of the free,' ' she said.

The Bob Dylan song she referred to is "With God on Our Side,' an antiwar anthem of the 1960s.

"It's unbelievable, because there were absolutely no political messages on this fence. It was all about supporting our troops, which could mean bringing them home, and about remembering 9-11.'

Les Howard, a sociology professor at Whittier College, said the incident might be an indication of some confusion among people trying to stop a possible war against Iraq but uncertain how to express their sentiments. However, he said he does not condone the destruction of symbols important to those who erect them.

"Some think (the best way to support the troops) is to not question their role. Some think the best way is to pursue all means possible to avoid putting them in danger,' he said. "That still does not excuse any desecration of people's symbolic participation.'

Chandler said she plans to rebuild the Sept. 11 memorial.

"We are going to rebuild this memorial, and it will be brighter, bigger and better than ever,' Chandler said.

Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell can be reached at (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3028, or by e- mail at debbie.pfeiffer@sgvn.com .

Sempers,

Roger

arzach
03-11-03, 03:28 PM
And these slimeballs say they are Americans? They are, in reality, a cancer growing amongst us and should be cut out, dealt with in harsh terms. Freedom of speech does not include infringement on others, nor the destruction of private property.

(quote) However, although officers witnessed the vandalism Saturday afternoon, police did not arrest three people seen damaging the display because they were "exercising the same freedom of speech that the people who put up the flags were,' La Habra Police Capt. John Rees said Monday.

"For this to be vandalism, there had to be an ill-will intent,' he said. (quote)

This Police Dept. needs some 're-construction', starting with Captain John Rees

wrbones
03-11-03, 03:32 PM
If that had been conservative right wingers doin' the destruction of a liberal memorial....

arzach
03-11-03, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
If that had been conservative right wingers doin' the destruction of a liberal memorial....

It would still be wrong....So what's yer point Bones?

wrbones
03-11-03, 03:44 PM
Yes, it would still be wrong.

My point is that the perpetratoers would have already been in jail.

arzach
03-11-03, 04:19 PM
Not,.. as it seems on account of the mind-set of this particular Police Dept. I'm wondering why also, this 'deed' did not make any news broadcasts. Liberalz, per chance?

wrbones
03-11-03, 04:52 PM
Don't know. It hasn't been 'til lately that the news is coverin' any of the support our troops rallies and such. Even Fox didn't start coverin' much of that 'til those teachers in Maine got stupid.

Liberals or conservatives, I've been disturbed by some of the thinkin' goin' on the last few years. What's good fer one side ain't good fer the other and vice versa.

Although right now, the more the liberals shoot off their mouths, the farther to the right I seem to find myself.

Sgt Sostand
03-11-03, 04:52 PM
where is my gun

greensideout
03-11-03, 05:48 PM
Makes me wonder how far our country has slid into non-sense laws and lies.

Do I believe in "Freedom of Speech? YES, 100%!

But let's have a look at the word "speech".
The Oxford American Dictionary defines speech as:
1. The act or power or manner of SPEAKING; Have SPEECH with a person, TALK with him.
2. Words SPOKEN, a SPOKEN communication to an audience.

Freedom of speech does not include ARSON, VANDALISM and the DISTRUCTION of a symbol. I.E., the American flag, etc.

Speech is running one's mouth. Let them run their mouth. (Just not in my face or I will kick their a**.) Oh? That's assault and battery. I just thought that I was exercising my "freedom of speech."

The police officer's job is to protect life and property. Looks like the liberal left put the cuffs on them.

Justice: Once used in America. How sad!

arzach
03-11-03, 05:57 PM
What to do if you happen upon a peace rally by stupid, naive, hemp-shirt-wearing
college idiots to teach them why force is sometimes needed:

1) Approach dumb, rich, ignorant student talking about "peace" and
saying there should be "no retaliation."

2) Engage in brief conversation, ask if military force is appropriate.

3) When he says "No," ask, "Why not?"

4) Wait until he says something to the effect of, "Because that would
just cause more innocent deaths, which would be awful and we should
not cause more violence."

5) When he's in mid sentence, punch him in the face as hard as you can.

6) When he gets back up to punch you, point out that it would be a mistake
and contrary to his values to strike you, because that would "be awful and
he should not cause more violence."

7) Wait until he agrees that he has pledged not to commit additional violence.

8) Punch him in the face again, harder this time.

Repeat steps 5 through 8 until they understand that sometimes it is necessary to punch back
-------------------------------------------------------------

One of my Bros came up with this,,,,seems apropriate

Rick

MillRatUSMC
03-11-03, 07:03 PM
My first reaction was a shaking of the head. <br />
As saying; &quot;How sad!&quot; have we shunk so low. <br />
That nothing is any value to some in this Nation. <br />
Not even a memorial to those that perished on those...

leroy8541
03-11-03, 07:14 PM
How much you wanna bet that some of these people doing the damge are one in the same who put it up in the first place.
How quick are we to forget? I heard a song today on a country station here by Darryl Worley called "Have You Forgotten? " Strikes a nerve for me.

greensideout
03-11-03, 07:45 PM
Quote; How much you wanna bet---.

Good point leroy. It seems that many people in this country just continue to be tossed around by the current breeze.

SheWolf
03-11-03, 08:28 PM
these people (the ones who desecrated the memorial) need to be put on a plane and flown to Bagdad, let them try their free speech there....:(

Barndog
03-11-03, 09:32 PM
Better hurry.... ther last flight is leaving shortly............

LMFAO

JChristin
03-12-03, 12:55 AM
perhaps their soul mate Jane Fonda will be on the flight with them.