PDA

View Full Version : Srt

119Wrestler
05-25-07, 10:08 PM
How can I get into SRT?

Sgt D
05-25-07, 10:42 PM
SRT is an MP thing. You would have to be an MP the details of specifics on that side I don't know because I'm not an MP. There are other similar options that I know about though. FAST Company does some of the same things. For that you would have to enlist for security forces and be selected in security forces school. The other option is Recon more specifically MARSOC Direct Action which is part of the new Spec-Op unit. For that you would have to join infantry, take the recon screening. After you pass that and get some experience in the recon community you could take the MARSOC screening. It depends on what you want. They all get good training MARSOC better than FAST, and FAST about the same as SRT. If you want to operate a lot I don't recommend SRT. They mostly just train. Something bad has to happen before they operate. Where as FAST and MARSOC will operate on a fairly regular basis. MARSOC more than FAST. If you do the FAST route first you can still move into MARSOC as well. I hope this helped out I know I kind of bounced around your actual question.

119Wrestler
05-26-07, 12:06 AM
Thanks,
Yeah it helped.
I'm definately going to be an MP.
But Im not sure if I wanna choose between k9 or SRT.
Or now the other options.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-26-07, 12:50 AM
I am sure one of the MPs will be along to answer the question. But, I would assume that SRT is like SWAT in that you don't start there- you make it there when you have proven yourself and have experience. If it isn't that way, I'd sure like it better if it was!

davecerami275
05-26-07, 08:56 AM
Summary. A special reaction team is comprised of military police personnel trained to give an installation commander the ability to counter or contain a special threat situation surpassing normal law enforcement capabilities. All team members should be cross trained in all team duties. As a minimum, the special reaction team must be capable of isolating a crisis scene, providing proficient marksmanship support, conducting tactical movement and building entry, and clearing of buildings in a variety of light and weather conditions. This MOS will be assigned as a skill designator only.

Requirements/Prerequisites

(1) Must currently hold MOS 5811 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl5811.htm).
(2) Must have obtained the grade of corporal or higher.
(3) Must be a volunteer.
(4) Possess a high degree of maturity and self control.
(5) Maintain minimum first class physical fitness standards.
(6) Qualify as an expert with service rifle and pistol.
(7) Complete the Special Team Course, U.S. Army Military Police School. Duties. For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO 1510.86 (http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/df51342d91236d2685256517004eb026/683d3cbd3e21ca228525677c004a4737%3FOpenDocument)_, Individual Training Standards

konman1
05-28-07, 08:03 PM
I think I answered this for you already...you may get the oppertunity at MP school, if not when you get to you perminant duty station express your interest to your watch commander. You pretty much have to be selected for SRT.

konman1
05-28-07, 08:04 PM
Hey Dave!!!! just wondering...do you have your own set of Marine Corps Orders??? You rock bro

davecerami275
05-28-07, 09:09 PM
Hey Dave!!!! just wondering...do you have your own set of Marine Corps Orders??? You rock bro

I use that new thing called Google and type in Marine Corps MOS or Marine Corps Military Police. Guess these kids have not figured out how to do this.

I hope they dont plan on being CID

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-28-07, 09:24 PM
I hope they dont plan on being CID

:thumbup: :yes: :thumbup:

119Wrestler
05-28-07, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I searched on goodle, I know all that, but sometimes, things are different than what is on the websites.
But it says you have to be a Corporal to be in SRT.
When you get done with MOS school, I probably wont be a Corporal, so how can I get the opportuinity at MP school?

Zulu 36
05-29-07, 06:12 AM
Well, it seems a bit obvious to me, but if you have to be a corporal, then you can't get an opportunity at MP school. And don't expect to be automatically picked just because you make corporal and have the other objective qualifications. SRT jobs are always fairly selective, whether in the Marine Corps or civilian policing.

There are also subjective qualifications too. In other words, if no one really likes you, some part of your work is substandard (like report writing), or you are an insufferable prick bragging about going to SRT, etc, kiss selection goodbye.

And if you can't figure out how to do basic research (called "investigation" in the police biz), and draw some basic inferences out of seemingly contradictory information, then perhaps police work is not for you.

Your first step to SRT selection is to become a good MP. Worry about specialties later.

Marine84
05-29-07, 08:12 AM
How can I get into SRT?

You have to WISH very hard for it.

konman1
05-30-07, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I searched on goodle, I know all that, but sometimes, things are different than what is on the websites.
But it says you have to be a Corporal to be in SRT.
When you get done with MOS school, I probably wont be a Corporal, so how can I get the opportuinity at MP school?

I made SRT as a LCpl, as far as getting on after MP school, the only reason I brought it up was because when I went, I remember they were doing like these interviews for SRT, kind of like what they do for K-9, I dont personally know anyone who got on that way, but I thought I would through it out there anyway. Zulu said it best when he said the best way to get on is to be a wired tight MP first. Get good at the basics before you worry about more responsibility, and yes almost all you do is train, in all my time on SRT I only reacted four times.

Zulu 36
05-30-07, 12:19 PM
SRT in the military is a bit different than civilian policing. As konman1 pointed out, his team only activated four times total. My SWAT team in the civilian world was doing something for real at least once per week.

Most of the time it was kicking in doors for our narcotics unit, but we were called out for barricaded subjects five or six times per year within our own city, plus a few times per year to backup other teams on either large scene containment or simultaneous multiple raids.

But we were only a 56-officer department so we weren't too busy compared to Detroit PD.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-30-07, 12:36 PM
Not to totally hijack, but being an MP sounded like a great idea before I was in the Marine. (Being color blind, I didn't have to worry about whether I wanted to be one or not though) But, once I was in, it seemed like a really boring job. There wasn't a whole lot of crime on base. From time to time there would be a domestic in base housing, some drunk Marines may get into a fight, and a dependent may decide to steal something in the PX but that was about it. Maybe we were just a little nicer than Marines on other bases- but it usually seemed like the MPs I knew were bored out of their minds.

Zulu 36
05-30-07, 12:56 PM
Working PMO at Pendleton was pretty busy. Lots of fights. Some really wild domestics too. Some NASTY accidents on base in the fog, and much excitment going out onto I-5 to backup CHP on a couple of big chain-reaction accidents. I felt safer in Vietnam than on I-5 in the fog.

Back at Division MP Co, life was dull, dull, dull, except when we went to the field, set up a small POW compound, and chased illegal aliens for tactical training and POW handling practice. That was fun. Didn't often get to do "training" with live-loaded rifles. We'd spend five days in the field and catch about 300-400 illegals and watch at least that many more get away.

A 30-day trip to 29 Stumps was interesting as we policed a camp full of Marines placed next door to a camp full of Air Force, plus a stretch of MSR. Most of the MSR work was getting the Army MPs out of trouble with Marine truck drivers along the Army-policed stretch of road.

Civilian police work can be equally dull, depending on where you work. Where I worked was not dull when your next-door-neighbor was Detroit PD's busiest precinct.

konman1
06-02-07, 09:10 AM
Yeah there was a lot of down time, but Ill tell ya what, i dont know if it was the moon cycle or what, but there was always a couple nights a month where it seemed like everything happened at once, like everyone went retarded for a few hours.

Zulu 36
06-02-07, 01:10 PM
Yeah there was a lot of down time, but Ill tell ya what, i dont know if it was the moon cycle or what, but there was always a couple nights a month where it seemed like everything happened at once, like everyone went retarded for a few hours.

There are many scientists who insist there is no empirical evidence that a full moon causes people to go stupid, but I don't know a cop, firefighter, paramedic, ER Dr/nurse, who will agree.

Perhaps there isn't enough "empirical" evidence, but there is one **** load of "anecdotal" evidence that I believe.

davecerami275
06-04-07, 10:55 AM
That full moon was always shining BRIGHT on the first of the month and the fifteenth. you could always count on a full moon them two days.

rvillac2
06-04-07, 12:25 PM
Funny. Isn't that about the same time all the hot looking mini-skirted sales girls work at the men's stores in the mall?