PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR'S Geoff Bodine visits Nimitz

thedrifter
05-25-07, 06:47 PM
NASCAR'S Geoff Bodine visits Nimitz

Friday, May 25, 2007

By MC2 (SW) Kristen Allen USS Nimitz Public Affairs

USS NIMITZ, At Sea - Former NASCAR and current Craftsman Truck Series driver Geoff Bodine spent time with Sailors and Marines aboard USS Nimitz CVN 68 May 16-18.

While aboard Nimitz, he observed flight operations and a fast rope exercise by Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit 11, Det. 3. He also spent time touring ship spaces and socializing with crew members during an autograph-signing session, ice cream social and meals on the mess decks and in the chief's mess and wardroom.

Nimitz is the first stop for Bodine, who is on a two-week tour of military installations and ships throughout the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility.

"I'm not out here on a vacation or to get a suntan - I'm here to see the Sailors," said Bodine. "I have the opportunity to do these kinds of things and I have the desire. I'm proud of our country. This is just one way I can show that pride."

Nimitz is the first aircraft carrier Bodine has been aboard.

"Everyone's treated me really nice," he said. "Everything [is] really great. I'm pleasantly surprised about the living quarters and chow was pretty good."

Hundreds of crew members met with Bodine during his time on the mess decks. NASCAR fans were especially excited to meet him and talk about the current racing season. One long-time fan, Aviation Electrician's Mate Airman Shantelle Butche of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 81, said she has tried to meet Bodine at races over the years, but his visit to Nimitz was her first chance to do so.

"He's an amazing driver and a really nice guy; very personable and family-oriented," Butche said. "He could tell I was having a rough day and gave me a little hug. It was great to talk to him."

Bodine spent six years in the Army National Guard and his father is a World War II Army veteran. Aside from his current tour, he spent time with soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq for New Year's in 2004 and 2005. He takes his visits with troops very seriously and sees it as his duty to tell their stories back in the United States.

"You don't hear all the good things Sailors and soldiers are doing in the regular media," said Bodine. "I want to tell about Sailors' attitudes, that they're proud of what they're doing and that it's tough for them. Everywhere we've been, not one soldier or Sailor ever said anything negative about what they're doing or where they're at."

Bodine was flown over to USS Higgins (DDG 76), a guided-missile destroyer with the Nimitz Strike Group, to spend the day with Sailors May 17. His next stop will be aboard USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74), also deployed in 5th Fleet. He is grateful for his chance to express his appreciation to as many troops as he can reach.

"Thank God for the military. Without all the soldiers, Sailors and Marines, I don't know where we'd be," said Bodine.

Ellie