PDA

View Full Version : Marines earn a cold one

thedrifter
05-25-07, 04:27 PM
Marines earn a cold one

By: North County Times Opinion Staff -

Our view: If they're old enough to serve, they're old enough to be served

The decision by Marine Corps brass to allow Marines as young as 18 to drink alcohol at some special occasions on base is a reasonable concession to reality and a recognition of the maturity of our fighting men and women.

Service men and women under 21 have long opined on the injustice of being old enough to die for their country but too young to have a drink. Due to a recent change in policy, those lucky enough to have joined the Marine Corps will no longer be able to complain, as long as they do their drinking on base during special occasions, such as the annual Marine birthday ball and deployment homecoming parties, and in foreign ports of call where the legal drinking age is under 21. The latter is a privilege already extended to other service members.

Most underage recruits, like underage people everywhere, are probably doing plenty of drinking already, so this change may not be as dramatic as it seems. But it does reinforce the notion that anyone who survives basic training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego or Parris Island is a grown-up and should be treated as such.

On this Memorial Day, we'll toast the men and women who are donning a uniform to fight for their country ---- all of them. Cheers!

Ellie

jebollenbach
05-25-07, 06:46 PM
iT ABOUT DAMN TIME:banana:

DROD
05-26-07, 02:35 PM
Long Overdue!:iwo:

FistFu68
05-26-07, 03:23 PM
:beer: ENJOY THAT 3.2 CHIT,(LOL)YOU OWE IT TOO YOU'RSELF :beer:

Ignition
05-27-07, 03:41 PM
i applaud it!

grayshade
05-29-07, 12:12 AM
Cheers Y'all :beer: Have an ice coldy on me. About time they start serving fighting men and woman. Drink up, just not too much :sick: Hell, all this talk of cold-ones has made me parched ;)