PDA

View Full Version : Question About Marines

wannaBMarine12
05-25-07, 11:07 AM
Hey,
I am currently deciding weather or not to join the Marines or Marine Reserves. Right now im leaning towards the Reserves because i wanna stay close to home and pursue a college education. I know the time will come where I will have to leave my hometown and fufill the duty of my MOS where i am needed.

I was wondering if the by joining the reserves, will i actually get time to go to college, or will i most likely spend my time goining from base to base, and over to war doing other duties? Because if thats the case i might as well join, and not be a reserveist. So im just wondering if I should put college on hold?

Marine84
05-25-07, 11:31 AM
Oh good Lord - we got another one ya'll!

Who's got the popcorn?

Sweetie just make a decison - yes, you can do just about anything you want but..........................BE PREPARED to pick up and go at a moments notice - it may NEVER happen but.........................ALWAYS be prepared for it. If college is so important to you, do that first, the Corps has been around for a long time and it will STILL be around after you and I are gone.

wannaBMarine12
05-25-07, 11:35 AM
alright thanks for the advice

maverickmarine
05-25-07, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I think you got it covered Marine84. But, I'll still buy a couple rounds for your trouble. LOL

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-25-07, 11:51 AM
As a reservist you will have time to go to college- no doubt about it. But, right now the chances of you spending some time deployed is pretty likely. So, if it is important to you to finish in 4 years, don't join yet. If you're OK with it taking 5 or 6 years with a break of 2 or 3 semesters in the middle, you'll probably be OK. There is a chance you'd be deployed twice before you could finish college, which may mean you'd be 25 before you graduated.

wannaBMarine12
05-25-07, 11:54 AM
^ Yeah i know i will get deployed, and im ok with taking a few extra years to finish college.

killerinstinct
05-25-07, 12:37 PM
yea like that woman in georgia said..

I personally didnt make a career out of it, well i did 8 yrs and then went to college. I thought often of continuing on for a 3 enlistment BUT i saw how hard it was for my gunner to transition to civilian life since he was in for a long time and it was hard for him to put up with the PC and going to school at 48 as a freshman in college; So i stoped my package.

But if you do go always go active duty. You will here reservists say things but there is a difference of being full time for long periods of time you get something more out of it it becomes a way of life and not just a hobby, so to speak..

But if you are interested in goign to college you are afforded it in the military and there are a lot who do go while in as an enlisted...