PDA

View Full Version : Fake MOH Recipient

Worsham
05-25-07, 08:28 AM
Question to all....

I am vaguely familiar with the Stolen Valor Act, but does anyone know specifically how it is enforced? There is new prick at my husbands place of employment making some false claims. Dear husband (separated Marine) called me to confirm validity or lack thereof.

This person is in his early 20s..about 22, 23 or so. Claims he is Marine (not even sure of that) and claims he is MOH recipient. Claims that Marine Corps offered him 200K to reenlist after first 4 year tour. Husband and I laughed til sides split at that...any real Marine knows Corps is too poor to throw that kind of money around...to throw hardly any around really....Of course this guy was recon....what poser wasn't recon, right?

Husband called him on it at my insistence. Guy got angry and walked off job...claims he was going to bring back proof...Didn't return for remainder of day. My question is, should he return with a medal....can he be prosecuted and how? To my knowledge, there has been 1 Marine, Cpl. Dunham, to be awarded this distinction since the Vietnam War...and that was Jan. 11th of this year, 3 years posthumous.

His name is Carl Thompson and this is going on in Maryland. Anybody got any suggestions? Anybody heard of him ( in the event that he did actually earn the title...though he should be stripped of it for this)

Long post I know, but this ****ed me off!

Thanks All....

Ignition
05-25-07, 08:37 AM
Oh for him to meet the fine point of a k-bar in the middle of his back, that might make his memory jog back to the time he DIDNT earn the MOH and recant his lies about my Corps!!!!

i would say national humilitation would be awesome... but that would just bring more posers out of the woodwork

davblay
05-25-07, 08:39 AM
I can't answer your question, but I had to have my say on this person. The world is full of idiots that think everyone else is dumber than they are---so they come up with this HERO thing to impress the people around them. Most would not know about the JASON DUNHAMS of the world and how we know the status of the MOH awards and all, so they take that chance and rant and rave about heroics! They are sad people that need to be pitied! They are alone and will do anything to get attention. They have no idea about HONOR, COURAGE AND COMMITMENT! Those are words in the dictionary. They usually haven't even served in any branch of the military, but they choose the Corps because it's the best! As far as the Stolen Valor law, well you can refer it to a service organization or even the local law enforcement officials. You've probably done all you can, for now, he left and sees that that lie bit him in his azz. He just got carried away ranting and just kept making himself look better and better until he was AUDIE MURPHY all of a sudden. Then his pride got in the way and he couldn't admit he was bulls!tting, stuck in that deep hole of deceiption!

Yep they are pathetic losers! Makes me want to PUKE! :sick:

Thanks for the post and Semper Fi.

Ed Palmer
05-25-07, 08:47 AM
Gee I was wrong again!!!

maverickmarine
05-25-07, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure how specific things need to be for the Stolen Valor Act to be enforced but I think they have to wear it but then again even claiming it seems to be stealing some valor. We have several threads about busting these guys on here and they are all the same pieces of ****. In fact, I just busted a guy here at work about that. It's no secret to anyone I work around that I'm a Marine but apparently this guy was telling everyone else but me that he was a Marine and of course Recon. Well, one day I ask about it and when he said Recon, it obviously sparked my interest, so I asked the standard questions, what unit, where, when and all that. First, he had to think about it (wrong answer), then he came up 3rd squad Bravo Division. WTF????? Needless to say we had a heart to heart about that ****. At the end of this though, and this is the first time this has ever happened, he actually admitted that he washed out in the first two weeks of Bootcamp and apologized to me and then I made him apologize to all the Marines who have died, the entire Marine Corps and fess up to those around that he had run his hole to. That's some good freakin' training right there. LOL

Dave Coup
05-25-07, 08:55 AM
********** posers are like cockroaches. They can't stand the light of day. You'll probably never see him again. If you do the subject of the MOH won't come up unless you bring it up. I personally would wopuld bring it up the moment I saw him along with the offer of a knuckle sandwich.

SF

Dave

Ed Palmer
05-25-07, 08:58 AM
This is the right one

Update 1 FEB 2007 - The Stolen Valor Act is passed, and effective December 2006 it is a Federal offense to wear of claim to have earned US medals:

Under the Stolen Valor Act it is now a Federal Offense, punishable by up to $5,000 fine and six months in jail (double that if the offense involves valor awards or the Purple Heart), to claim VERBALLY or in WRITING, to have received any military award you did not. This means among other things that:

If you put in your website, on your resume, or even just verbally claim that you received ANY medal or medals you did not--even something as basic as a campaign ribbon, you have violated Federal law.

If you claim, verbally or in writing, to be a former Ranger, Seal, Delta, USAF Pararescueman, Special Forces, etc. (elite units identified by special BADGES), you have violated Federal Law. (Since Jump Wings are a military badge, claiming jump status would also be a violation.

If you are in a chat room (remember, logs are easy to obtain) or even at your local watering hole, and try to impress a member of the opposite sex with false tales of heroism, elite unit status, or medals, you are committing a Federal offense.

If you know anyone who has made false claims of valor, contact the FBI immediately and INSIST that they arrest the offender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worsham
05-25-07, 09:00 AM
Dude showed up to work today....

GET THIS!

With a cropped picture of himself in dress blues shaking the hand of an officer....
Tried to tell my husband that was him being presented the MOH.....

My husband walked him over to a computer. Pulled up website of most recent recipients....guy said nothing and walked away.

Don't these dumb ****s know that we are everywhere?!?!? My husband is one of 3 Marines that work there. Even worse, the guy didn't have the decency to just stop or better yet, fall off the face of the Earth....

He spent the rest of the day yesterday photoshopping somebody's pic to present as proof....

I want to see this guy for myself...plan on paying hubby visit at work later.

bigdog43701
05-25-07, 09:05 AM
dav,

i DO NOT agree that they need to be "pittied". they need to have their a$$ kicked by a battalion of Marines at the same time.

Ed Palmer
05-25-07, 09:06 AM
This great web page offer advice on how to spot these impostor criminals:

Sketchy records. When asked to verify details of their military record, phonies often say they didn't go through the normal military channels.

Appearance matters. Impostors put on pretty lousy impersonations. They're often out of shape or have a "slovenly appearance in uniform,"

Top secret? Probably not. A phony often will say details of his career exploits are classified.

"My dog ate it." Phonies often say their military documents were destroyed in a fire or some similar disaster.

Watch that rack. Check their decorations; phonies often wear medals in the wrong order or in disproportion to their time in service.

Check the birth date. When it comes to the Medal of Honor, age matters.

Just ask. Don't be afraid to test someone if you think they're faking, FBI agents say.

Surf the Web. Still not sure? Check out the online databases of information about both real and phony war heroes. The site www.homeofheroes.com has a confidential online "bust a phony" form. Information submitted is turned over to the FBI. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society maintains a list of living MOH award recipients at www.cmohs.org . Also, www.pownetwork.org maintains a list of phony veterans.

This web site has a most-wanted page for military impostor criminals and it's shocking that there are hundreds of these scumbags wearing honors and rank that they did not earn:

Worsham
05-25-07, 09:33 AM
Thanks to All!

The plot thickens....instead of crawling back into the hole from whence he came....he gets more elaborate. Now add three...count em' THREE Purple Hearts to the fray.

Thanks to good ol' Ed (veritable cornucopia of reference you are), was able to contact the local branch of the FBI here...responsible for dealing with these phonies and report him.

The wheels are in motion and the agent I spoke to filed the report and said they'd send someone out. Oh how I'd love to be a fly on the wall and watch him go weak in the knees, when they show up.

Will keep all updated on the demise of this piece of ****.

Semper Fi

Ignition
05-25-07, 09:34 AM
anyone have this scumbags personal email...... I think he wants to get a earful of arsechewing.

People have shed blood just so he has the freedom to rant n rave and play pretend. BUT THIS BUCK STOPS HERE when he violates something like this

may his next meal consist of napalm and a sharp elbow to the face

maverickmarine
05-25-07, 09:39 AM
Holy ****! He not only showed back up and continued his bull**** but now added to it. That is freakin' badass that they are going to send someone out. Yeah, keep us updated.

SGTBrentG
05-25-07, 09:57 AM
Where exactly in Maryland does this moron work? Wouldn't happen to be near Owings Mills? I would like to meet him and see his MOH.

killerinstinct
05-25-07, 09:59 AM
HAHAH 22 and a MOH??? and hes alive??

Thats crazy!!! You kn

killerinstinct
05-25-07, 10:03 AM
Dude showed up to work today....

GET THIS!

With a cropped picture of himself in dress blues shaking the hand of an officer....
Tried to tell my husband that was him being presented the MOH.....

My husband walked him over to a computer. Pulled up website of most recent recipients....guy said nothing and walked away.

Don't these dumb ****s know that we are everywhere?!?!? My husband is one of 3 Marines that work there. Even worse, the guy didn't have the decency to just stop or better yet, fall off the face of the Earth....

He spent the rest of the day yesterday photoshopping somebody's pic to present as proof....

I want to see this guy for myself...plan on paying hubby visit at work later.

thats just funny i have never met anyone living with a MOH... BUT ONE and i was in bootcamp and we were drilling on the parade deck and a guy walked by and our DI saluted him and then asked us if we knew why he saluted an enlisted man and told us... I think i was in awe but have never met anyone really... Quite a rare site, i dont even know what id say to a recepient

Devildogg4ever
05-25-07, 10:07 AM
I wish once they put the uniform on, or recieve any financial help, or make fake pics, anything dealing with their lies, was a Federal offense!!! I also think 6 months isn't long enough for a jail term!!

drumcorpssnare
05-25-07, 10:30 AM
Long story short...I served with a Marine at K-Bay, who stole a MOH, went home on leave and tried to convince his father he had earned it in Vietnam.
Dad was no dummy. He killed his kid with a shotgun, then killed himself.
Good riddance!:evilgrin:

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

maverickmarine
05-25-07, 10:41 AM
Long story short...I served with a Marine at K-Bay, who stole a MOH, went home on leave and tried to convince his father he had earned it in Vietnam.
Dad was no dummy. He killed his kid with a shotgun, then killed himself.
Good riddance!:evilgrin:

drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Okay, that's jacked up. All of it.

GUNNY MAX
05-25-07, 11:47 AM
Please keep us up to date on that worthless slime ball.

davblay
05-25-07, 01:17 PM
dav,

i DO NOT agree that they need to be "pittied". they need to have their a$$ kicked by a battalion of Marines at the same time.

HAHA---you need to know my difinition of the word pittied! ;)

Goose
05-25-07, 01:42 PM
The Man or lack of man that he is.....He's just a plain freakin idiot. Print all of these out and give it to him. How stupid is this guy? Sir you are not a man, your a freakin coward.

bigdog43701
05-25-07, 01:45 PM
dav,

ok "my bad" gotcha.

capmarine
05-25-07, 01:52 PM
if he were to come in with a medal,call the local FBI.heck,call them anyway,just to let them know about this idiot.ever having a MOH for instance would be very very rare;displaying it and saying he was a recepient and not being one ,the federal DA would love that kind of case.let's face it the feds will not touch a case unless it really causes an uproar and publicity ensues-too much money to try a fed. case.

usmc3521
05-25-07, 02:09 PM
thats is jacked up. I had a kid who was a beginner motocross rider who always came up to me and my buddies at the track. He started talking sayin he was in the Corps and did his 6 years as a 3521 in the reserve(a 6x2) He sounded semi proficient but kind of stumbled when I started talking about the 1039 hummer. The next time I say him he was talking and mentioned he graduated in 2002(keep in mind this was 2005 at the time) Red flag went up right away. I got ahold of my buddy who worked with him at a local car dealership and he checked out his apllication and sure enough USMC all over it. He gave me his social and we ran it thru mctiff and thru my local reserve unit. He was never in, denied entry to bootcamp for medical reasons. I know the 1st sgt of the unit contacted him and someone to pursue the stolen valor act but never found out what did happen. The kid of course fell of the planet and we havent seen him since. Truly disgusting

capmarine
05-25-07, 03:00 PM
well,in imo,the act covers medals/ribbons(and other devices)not just saying you were something or in a service.when you start advertizing your medals,in written form such as in a newspaper article or joining a MCL and wear your fake ribbons etc,that is when(and if )the feds will get involved.my 02

kato811
05-25-07, 09:34 PM
Ask him if you can see his MOH. see if he produces one if he does hes cooked

Sgt D
05-25-07, 09:48 PM
I wish once they put the uniform on, or recieve any financial help, or make fake pics, anything dealing with their lies, was a Federal offense!!! I also think 6 months isn't long enough for a jail term!!

It could already be. Check this link out.

http://stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=29720&archive=true

3077India
05-25-07, 10:28 PM
I feel it necessary to point out that, when someone is awarded a medal for their service there is always a document accompanying the award. Or there is a document they could receive that may state that the person qualifies for or has been awarded certain medals. Any true Veteran would have documentation of awards and medals, most likely kept with their DD214. Merely showing "photographic proof" isn't proof at all. I'd ask for their documentation.

Sgt Leprechaun
05-25-07, 10:34 PM
Keep me updated on this POS allegedly from Maryland/in Maryland. I'm a Federal LEO here with plenty of contacts. You can PM with specific information if you need to as well. Based on what you've said, I believe you have a violation of the SVA. We can hook this turd right up!

BTW, simply CLAIMING to be an MOH winner is a violation. As is claiming awards of ANY decoration, including the PH. Showing pics to "prove" it is even better.

3077India
05-25-07, 10:56 PM
I feel it necessary to point out that, when someone is awarded a medal for their service there is always a document accompanying the award. Or there is a document they could receive that may state that the person qualifies for or has been awarded certain medals. Any true Veteran would have documentation of awards and medals, most likely [contained on] their DD214. Merely showing "photographic proof" isn't proof at all. I'd ask for their documentation.DD214s do contain awards and medals documentation as well as stamping to make altering ones DD214, without detection, impossible.

DROD
05-26-07, 02:40 PM
I think he ought to be casterated and his balls hung around his neck!:flag: :flag:

capmarine
05-26-07, 08:24 PM
we had a CAP reunion in Washington,DC in the 90's.we always have a vietnamese dinner as traditional dinning out.at the DC affair we were not the only ones,a large group of Rangers were there too.as the whole thing ended we all left at about the same time-we Marines and Rangers.it started to snow and we were all waiting at the door waiting for our people getting to their cars,etc.standing there in the doorway was a Ranger,a very neatlyh dressed gentleman,with a neatly trimmed white beard and hair and the MOH around his neck.i stood their and didnt say a word,but looked at this hero.

Robert Browell
05-27-07, 03:46 PM
I've been to quite a few Viet Nam vet reunions.There is always a herd of wannabes at these affairs.most of thems biggest concern isn't stolen valor,It's free beer!!:devious: They truly are scumbags and losers.If everyone I've seen wearing Recon or Seal insignia was legit,then there must have been someone from special ops behind every freakin tree!!!!:no: I sure as hell didn,t see many when I was there??

capmarine
05-27-07, 03:55 PM
we had a CAP reunion in Washington,DC in the 90's.we always have a vietnamese dinner as traditional dinning out.at the DC affair we were not the only ones,a large group of Rangers were there too.as the whole thing ended we all left at about the same time-we Marines and Rangers.it started to snow and we were all waiting at the door waiting for our people getting to their cars,etc.standing there in the doorway was a Ranger,a very neatlyh dressed gentleman,with a neatly trimmed white beard and hair and the MOH around his neck.i stood there and didnt say a word,but looked at this hero.w
let me make it clear i wasn't indicating this person wasn't real,he certainly was.you dont come to a Ranger reunion where you arent known and get by wearing the MOH.

ggyoung
05-27-07, 07:03 PM
DD-214's are no longer used for ID's for medals or for proving POW. It is to easy to get them on the inernet and forge them. I have busted one fake POW here in Utah. A very good place to look for them is in your news paper obit's. If any one has douts about anybody send me all info and I will do the work. It may take a little longer in the summer and fall as I am in the mountains a lot of the time. S/F

ErikHeiker
05-28-07, 05:17 AM
DD-214's are no longer used for ID's for medals or for proving POW. It is to easy to get them on the inernet and forge them. I have busted one fake POW here in Utah. A very good place to look for them is in your news paper obit's. If any one has douts about anybody send me all info and I will do the work. It may take a little longer in the summer and fall as I am in the mountains a lot of the time. S/F

My Air Force DD-214 from Mar 2007 lists every medal I was ever awarded, even my Marine Corps Good Conduct medal with one device. Since there is a POW medal, it would be listed on the DD-214 of those who received one.

grayshade
05-28-07, 05:20 AM
I would love ta be there and kick some ass. I don't take to lightly to posers. Taken care of a few before, they sure were singin' a different tune after I showed them a few new steps. Sounds like me an this $#!^bird need to be introduced ;)

Sgt Leprechaun
05-28-07, 07:31 AM
The DD214 I got when I was discharged listed every medal/award I rec'vd. Those claiming 'secret' awards and such are, quite simply, full of crap. There is no such thing as a 'secret' citation,...

Jarheadtanker
05-28-07, 08:06 AM
PLease PLEAASE..... bring a camera or cellfone camera and video/pic the FBI when they show up and bust the idiot! call the major networks and see if anyone is willing to pick up the story. It would be wonderful to experience it, and it will bring exposure to all posers and maybe then they will quit pretending!
At least video it and post it on youtube!!!

Jarheadtanker
05-28-07, 08:10 AM
I had a girlfriend in Oregon, and when I went to visit, I walked into a grocery store with my camo cover on. the guy at the counter asked if I was in the marines and I said yes. He asked me what was my rank and I said I was an E-4, He told me he did 35 years in and retired as an E-12. I just laughed in his face and called him a liar. I did it in front of some locals who were just dumbfounded. It seems he had lied to all of them. But I don't think it counts as a Stolen valor, but it qualifies as definite POSER!

maverickmarine
05-28-07, 08:43 AM
HAHA, an E-12 huh? That's outstanding. That must be that "secret", rank structure as well.

grayshade
05-28-07, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I think E-12 is FirstMajor MasterGuns if I remember 'The Posers Guide to Handbook' correctly. Some people are just a friggin' waste o' bullets ya know.

cmg223
05-28-07, 09:42 AM
Is there a place to check military records of individuals. I wonder that because how does the VFW, Legion or any other veteran organizations check for eligibility. They have had to deal with these bastards for years!!

3077India
05-28-07, 10:16 AM
I had a girlfriend in Oregon, and when I went to visit, I walked into a grocery store with my camo cover on. the guy at the counter asked if I was in the marines and I said yes. He asked me what was my rank and I said I was an E-4, He told me he did 35 years in and retired as an E-12. I just laughed in his face and called him a liar. I did it in front of some locals who were just dumbfounded. It seems he had lied to all of them. But I don't think it counts as a Stolen valor, but it qualifies as definite POSER!In regards to this fella I have a quote that fits him perfectly, "IT IS BETTER TO BE THOUGHT AN IDIOT, THAN TO OPEN ONE'S MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT."

Sgt Leprechaun
05-28-07, 11:44 AM
The vets organizations normally just ask for a copy of a DD214. That's been getting them into trouble lately, since they can (and easily have been) be faked.

Ignition
05-28-07, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I think E-12 is FirstMajor MasterGuns if I remember 'The Posers Guide to Handbook' correctly. Some people are just a friggin' waste o' bullets ya know.

thought that was a Super Master Gunnery General

;-p

DeJayP
05-29-07, 04:22 PM
thought that was a Super Master Gunnery General

;-p

No. That would be your E-12.75:banana:

Jarheadtanker
05-29-07, 04:45 PM
I think E11 is super sgt. maj. of USMC and E12 would be super-duper sgt. maj. of USMC.

Anybody here ever heard of the product "Head On"? Whats their slogan? "Apply directly to the forehead"? LMAO must've been a Marine marketer! I know we have a bunch of creative minds who will no doubt run with this one!! heh heh heh!

Robert Browell
05-29-07, 07:03 PM
I think think we should throw a big party for all the wannabes.Followed by beer and food for us,and a public hanging for them:thumbup: By the way,I think E-12 is AIA or Advanced Ignorant *******,but I'm not sure,because the highest ranked enlisted man I've ever met was a lowly E-9.Maybe I should have payed more attention.:iwo: :flag:

Ignition
05-30-07, 08:51 AM
yeah but those e-9 go on working parties for them e 12.75s

SeaBag Drag
06-28-07, 09:52 AM
Just finished reading thru all the threads about posers and all the E-12's and secret MOH awards has got me on the floor freaking crying. Somebody's gotta write a book about this stuff. Absolutely hilarious.

SeaBag Drag
Plt 1062/ '82 PI

:flag:

zx6rdr
06-28-07, 11:32 AM
oh yeah?!??!!!?!
Well my buddies, sisters, husbands, nephews, grandfather was a E-13, 6 MOH's and 87 PH's he fought on the same iceburgh that sunk the titanic.

LMFAO

I think that we should all "tactically instert our feet into every possible place on these imposters bodies!!!"

ROHO
06-28-07, 11:41 AM
Kinda reminds me of that episode on MASH, when Hawkeye promoted Radar to CPL Captain so he could get in the Officers club.

FistFu68
06-28-07, 02:53 PM
:evilgrin: CHIT I HAD A DOCTER AT THE V.A. ASK ME IF I HAD SHOT MYSELF IN A HUNTING ACCIDENT.I SAID YES DOC.THE DEER WERE CARRYING AK-47'S,AND THEY WERE HUNTING ME!!!(LOL):D :iwo:

davblay
06-28-07, 03:06 PM
:evilgrin: CHIT I HAD A DOCTER AT THE V.A. ASK ME IF I HAD SHOT MYSELF IN A HUNTING ACCIDENT.I SAID YES DOC.THE DEER WERE CARRYING AK-47'S,AND THEY WERE HUNTING ME!!!(LOL):D :iwo:
That's nothing Fist, when they removed the shrapnel from my spine it had entered from the back, but they had to get it out from the front. When I enlisted in the Army, the MEPS doc ( an Air Force Colonel) asked me what happened, as I have a scare in front and in back. I told him "BAYONET" while in NAM, he looked at me and scratched his head and passed me! Shortest physical I ever had! The Waiver was approved in two weeks! They must have hand carried it thru!

Sgt Leprechaun
06-30-07, 05:46 AM
oh yeah?!??!!!?!
Well my buddies, sisters, husbands, nephews, grandfather was a E-13, 6 MOH's and 87 PH's he fought on the same iceburgh that sunk the titanic.

LMFAO

I think that we should all "tactically instert our feet into every possible place on these imposters bodies!!!"

LOL. Someone did. It's called "Stolen Valor" by BG Burkett. Should be available thru Amazon or your local bookstore. Damn good read.

sgtjohnharris
07-28-09, 08:14 PM
It is easy to check.Simply go to WWW.CMOHS.org.If (http://www.CMOHS.org.If) his name ain't there, he is NOT a MOH recipient.My Neighbor in Cross Creek, FL, Cpl Duane Dewey IS!

Wyoming
07-28-09, 09:46 PM
It is easy to check.Simply go to WWW.CMOHS.org.If (http://www.CMOHS.org.If) his name ain't there, he is NOT a MOH recipient.My Neighbor in Cross Creek, FL, Cpl Duane Dewey IS!

Let me assist with the link.

http://www.cmohs.org (http://www.cmohs.org.if/)

MLMonk
07-28-09, 10:09 PM

One of my good friends from UF met him a few months ago, said he was a great guy.