PDA

View Full Version : Woman's place is on firing line

thedrifter
05-25-07, 07:39 AM
May 25, 2007 - 12:00AM
Woman's place is on firing line

CHRISSY VICK
DAILY NEWS STAFF
Michelle Hattar donned a helmet and Kevlar vest and hung on to her M-4 like a pro.

Though Hattar is no Marine, she was praised for being one of the best shooters of the day at Marine Forces Special Operation Command's first Jane Wayne Day.

Hattar, the wife of Sgt. Anthony Hattar, an assistant team leader with MARSOC, enjoyed a day of riding in a humvee, shooting weapons, breaching doorways and clearing a room.

"It was so much fun," she said before shooting the automatic shotgun. "I think this makes it easier for you to understand what they go through and what they experience when they go away. I think it's important for us to experience this."

Her husband has done two tours in Iraq and has another deployment to come next year. This is just one small experience that will add to her peace of mind while he's gone, she said.

That's one reason MARSOC officials put on the event, held Thursday at the Marine Special Operations School. The school is just one part of the command, established in February 2006 and also consisting of a Foreign Military Training Unit, 1st and 2nd Marine Special Operations Battalion and Marine Special Operations Support Group.

"We just wanted to give them the experience their husbands get, even if a small experience, to see what they do on a day-to-day basis," said Maj. Robert Govoni, family readiness officer. "It's important to have all the families informed of what's going on in MARSOC because it keeps the mystery out of things, especially during a deployment."

MARSOC's Jane Wayne Day was different than most, he said, as MARSOC spouses were able to not only shoot real weapons, but participate in clearing a house, moving in a fire team rush and searching for a sniper hidden in the woods.

"We wanted to give them a good variety," Govoni said. "We wanted to let them do something they might not have done before, even on other Jane Wayne days."

Mike Mulvihill, a MARSOC school instructor, demonstrated how to breach doors and windows for the spouses.

"We are teaching them how to gain access to a structure without explosives," he said. "Then they learn the real fundamentals of a close-quarters battle. I think they're getting a feel for what these guys can really do."

Katy DuBois, wife of Maj. Alfredo DuBois, said she was going home with a new perspective after the day's events.

"I have a profound respect for what these people do - even more so now," she said. "They go out and put on all of this equipment in the hot sun and work so hard. I'm very impressed."

Samantha Wales said she also had a greater appreciation for the difficulty of a MARSOC Marine's job.

"They try to explain what they do to us, but nothing compares to seeing it firsthand," said Wales, wife of Gunnery Sgt. Michael Wales. "It's good to do a hands-on experience."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 8466.

Ellie