PDA

View Full Version : Baton Rouge Marine Reserves Headed to Iraq

thedrifter
05-25-07, 07:14 AM
Baton Rouge Marine Reserves Headed to Iraq

May 24, 2007 05:46 PM

There was another round of goodbyes Thursday for troops from Louisiana. The Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 23rd Marines Reserve Unit was called up to active duty. Signs like a father whispering to his son and couples holding hands show that none of the families wanted to let go.

The Brooks family members just can't bring themselves to say goodbye. Sgt. Baker Brooks says, "It's much more difficult to leave having the new baby and a beautiful wife. Last time, we were engaged whenever I left." Sgt. Brooks was last in Iraq in 2003. That's the last time these Marine Reservists were called to active duty. The difference this time is he's leaving behind a wife and a one-month-old baby named Baker. Sgt. Brooks says, "That's ah, that's gonna be the hardest part. The things that I'm gonna miss."

More than those first steps and first words, he says he'll miss just being able to hold his new son. Sarah Brooks says, "There's been times I wanted to break down and cry the last few days, but having him to make me laugh is pulled me through. It's gonna be easier having him and keeping me occupied."

For the next 12 months, it's just Sarah and Baker. Sarah says, "I've done it before, do it again." However, it may be easier said than done. Sgt. Brooks makes sure the last kiss goes to his son. The final goodbye for them is the hardest and most heartbreaking.

The Weapons Company will train at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina for about three months before they head to Iraq.

Reporter: Tyana Williams, WAFB 9NEWS

Ellie