View Full Version : Military attracts 52 Warren County high school recruits

thedrifter
05-23-07, 06:15 PM
Military attracts 52 Warren County high school recruits
9 Lebanon graduates to join the U.S. Armed Forces

By Ryan Cook

Staff Writer

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

That effort is reflected in the number of seniors enlisting in the armed forces. Last year, 91 percent of new recruits had their high school diploma. Although that number was down from 93 and 95 percent in the previous two years respectively, each branch of the military has met or exceeded its recruiting goal every year since 2001, according to the Department of Defense.

At least 52 students from Warren County schools have chosen to spend the next four to six years of their lives in the military, rather than in college, while some are attending universities and joining their schools' Reserve Officer Training Corps. The benefits for them include tuition reimbursement and additional training in areas such as leadership and citizenship.

Nine Lebanon High School graduates have joined the country?s armed forces, deciding to forego college for active military duty or enrolled in their university?s Reserve Officer Training Corps.

Whether students plan to make a career out of serving in the military or are using it as training to further their opportunities, these young men and women believe they will be better off than pursuing other options.

Garrett Flint has enlisted in the Marines and will head to boot camp July 23, when most of his classmates will be going to college orientation. Flint, whose brother is also in the Marines, said he never had any doubt about his future.

?If I was going to go in (to the military), I wanted to be trained by the best,? Flint said. ?(The Marines) hold themselves to a higher standard.?

Classmate Joe Brooks plans to attend Ohio University and participate in its ROTC program. The main attraction for him was receiving a scholarship to cover 100 percent of tuition from the Army National Guard. His father is a Navy veteran and Brooks said he has been raised with a military mindset. He has completed four years of training in his high school?s ROTC program.

Brooks? chances of being shipped overseas may not be as great as Flint?s or others who signed up for active duty, but neither young man is bothered by the thought that they could end up serving in a combat zone.

?I never thought twice about it,? Brooks said. ?But if there is a disaster (in the U.S.), I look forward to going out to help.?

Flint would welcome the opportunity to defend his country.

?I want to go there (Iraq) and do my part to help,? Flint said. ?It?s one of those risks you know you?re taking.?

Lebanon students entering the military are: Garrett Flint and April Gosnell, Marines; Amanda Frederick, Coast Guard; Mary Harper, Army; Danielle Riggs, Army Reserve; Joe Brooks, Army National Guard; Jeanette Sears and Tyler Stanley, Air Force ROTC; and David Holmberg, Navy ROTC.

How many high school graduates are going into the military?

Last year, 91 percent of new military recruits in the United States had just graduated high school. All branches of the military met or exceeded recruiting goals for the month of April. (source: Major Stewart Upton, spokesman for the Department of Defense)

Army Goal: 5,804 Achieved: 5,400

Navy Goal: 2,718 Achieved: 2,718

Air Force Goal: 2,040 Achieved: 2,040

Marines Goal: 1,899 Achieved: 1,345

In Warren County

School Students entering military

Lebanon 9

Little Miami 6

Mason 15

Kings 4

Waynesville 5

Franklin 3

Carlisle 2

Springboro 8

Contact this reporter at (513) 696-4507 or rycook@coxohio.com.

Ellie