PDA

View Full Version : LAV Crewman...

CantWaitToSign
05-23-07, 11:40 AM
Hi, I have done a search on the site to see if my question would be answered and it was not. All I got was what the LAV Crewman does. However I was wondering what the day-to-day life was like for a LAV Crewman? Thanks in advance!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 01:11 PM
They wake up in the morning and are beat up by the 0311s. They do morning clean up, go to chow, have a formation, and then the machine gunners beat them up. Then they clean weapons until lunch. After show, they are beat up by the mortar section. Then they turn to on cleaning the LAVs until 1630 when HQ platoon beats them up. Liberty until the next day when they do it all again.

Honestly people, there is no way to tell you what the day to day life of any job will be like. It depends what is going on in the world, where you are on a deployment work-up, what the command wants to do, who your NCOs are, and a million other things. With many jobs you'll spend many days taking care of your equipment and having classes on how to do your job. Crash, Fire, Rescue; MPs; and other jobs where their actual job is the day to day activities are different. But, they are a minority. Most Marines do their actual job, such as going to the field, part of the time and spend the rest of their time waiting to do it again.

CantWaitToSign
05-23-07, 02:05 PM
um...Thanks? See I was asking the question hoping a Marine who is or was an LAV Crewman would answer

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 02:24 PM
Try reading again. There is no typical day. What you do while you're getting ready for a deployment is nothing like what you would do during or after a deployment. What you do in the field is different than what you do in garrison. One of the great things about the Marine Corps is that days aren't the same, things change.

rvillac2
05-23-07, 03:33 PM
One thing is constant!
We clean. We clean a lot.
You'll clean your hooch, your weapon, your vehicle, your CO's vehicle, your CO's girlfriend's POV, your CO's wife's POV, etc.

Marine84
05-23-07, 04:04 PM
One thing is constant!
We clean. We clean a lot.
You'll clean your hooch, your weapon, your vehicle, your CO's vehicle, your CO's girlfriend's POV, your CO's wife's POV, etc.

LOL!

CantWaitToSign
05-23-07, 04:54 PM
Hahahaha can't wait!

JoeSzynal
05-23-07, 09:56 PM
Cantwait, EchoFour is correct. Well except the part about getting beat up by the mortarmen. Those tube-strokers are having a good day if they don't blow their own hands off ;)

Seriously thought Echo's piece about things always changing up are correct. For units that only deploy to Iraq like mine, the cycle does have somewhat of a method but there is still madness. We go again in September. That may seem like a while but it will go by QUICK.

The battalion has certain training package requirements for our company to meet and we are about 75% done with the field work except for Mojave Viper which is a month long field training excercise. For us that goes down in July/Aug. Becuase there is little time after that before Iraq, our pre-deployment vacation is going down end of June through July.

These past two weeks have been somewhat of an admin stand down where we take care of paperwork such as wills and powers of attorney. Also medical stuff gets knocked out like dental and lasic eye procedures. Classes and intel briefs are also sprinkled in there throughout.

Basically up until now, as a crewman during a workup to Iraq, you are either preping for the field or in the field. The only days that are predictable are your libo days.

Finally, again as Echo mentioned, it depends on your command. That applies to platoon level as well. Sometimes we will be the only platoon still working while the rest of the company is off. That can be for a legit reson or because your platoon sgt. is too busy stroking the brass at the company office... instead of getting the word and securing the platoon.

hope that helped. i do better with specific questions.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 10:09 PM
JoeSzynal, thanks for your post. I always look forward to reading anything you have to say. Now, go update your blog!

CantWaitToSign
05-24-07, 11:31 AM
Thank you very much JoeSzyal, that helped me out alot!