PDA

View Full Version : Tillman's sacrifice inspired graduate's career choice

thedrifter
05-23-07, 08:47 AM
Tillman's sacrifice inspired graduate's career choice

Susanne Tso
Special for The Republic
May. 22, 2007 05:46 PM

Come June, Desert Vista High school graduating senior Derek Zeigler will part company with his college-bound friends and embark on a path that only "the few and the proud" dare venture.

The 18-year-old will become a U.S. Marine.

Until a few months ago, Zeigler, like many of his friends, was headed to Arizona State University where he planned to study finance. The college sent him an acceptance letter last fall based on his 3.3 grade point average and an impressive resume of leadership involvement at school and in the community.

He had the funding and enough self-discipline to do well.

But Zeigler's lifelong interest in the military began nagging at him and by Christmas he decided to act on it. After meeting with recruiters from several military branches, he signed with the Marines on Jan. 23 with an understanding he would train for special security forces. He reports to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego on June 4 for 13-weeks of boot camp.

It was a decision he made on his own and one that met with mixed reaction.

"My friends were excited and they thought it was pretty cool but at the same time they were worried because there's a war going on. The war doesn't bother me, though. I want to go and help out; I want to do my part," said Zeigler.

Those who know him best weren't surprised.

"He's okay making decisions that other people may not like; he's not a follower," said his mother Kelly, who calls her son "the all-around greatest kid you could ask for."

Zeigler is known for his leadership and for giving generously to others. His peers voted him the "most involved" student at Desert Vista this year. He was a member of Best Buddies, a campus organization that matches regular students with intellectually disabled students. The teen also served as president of the campus chapter of DECA, a national organization aimed at developing leadership and business skills in students with business or marketing interests. To no one's surprise, Zeigler placed first in Arizona this year in DECA's Travel and Tourism high school competition and recently represented the state in the international competition. He is an Eagle Scout, served on the senior class student council, and was a three-year member of the Desert Vista track team.

In short, he is the type of student that colleges hope to attract. And that's why some people don't understand why Zeigler would give up college for the risks associated with the eight-year commitment he made to the U.S. Marines.

"My whole life I had it in my head that I wanted to join the military," explains Zeigler. "I have pictures of me when I was little in camouflage outfits and Air Force pilot suits. I remember going to air shows with my grandfather and every time we saw a military plane fly over he'd talk to me about it. We would watch war movies together like Memphis Belle."

He and his grandfather, Bob Jones of Tucson, are very close, he says. But his grandpa isn't his only inspiration.

"Pat Tillman is one of my biggest heroes," says Zeigler, referring to the former professional football player who left a successful sports career and enlisted in the U.S. Army in 2002. He was killed by friendly fire two years later while serving in Afghanistan.

"He gave his life and look at everything he had. No one's too good for the military."

While Zeigler's close-knit family is supporting him, not all are embracing the decision.

His 17-year-old brother Brandon, for example, is "having the hardest time," said his mother. But his father Bill is struggling, too.

"My husband has been very emotional about it. He's very worried about Derek and afraid that something's going to happen to him. I'm more afraid of missing him."

But she takes comfort in knowing her son is following his dreams.

"After he enlisted, he told me 'I'm the happiest I've ever been,'" she said.

Ellie