PDA

View Full Version : Troops safer thanks to homebuilder's heart

thedrifter
05-23-07, 08:23 AM
Troops safer thanks to homebuilder's heart

Homebuilder Frank Ranallo knows his trade and how to reach his goals.

Ranallo has four children. One of them, Nicholas, is in the Marines. Another, Frankie, is in the Army. It didn't take this dad long to learn that his sons weren't getting the protective equipment they needed to stay safe while doing their jobs.

So, he created a non-profit foundation, Marine Corps Show of Support, to help raise money for equipment.

"There was just a need. By watching the news, I could see these kids didn't have the proper ballistic vests," he said. "They just needed this stuff badly and no one would buy it for them and I decided to take it on myself."

Last fall, Frank Ranallo took an empty lot and began doing what he does best, building a house. Using donated materials from more than one dozen local companies and his own expertise, he completed a two story home. Then he put it on the market and it sold for $300,000.

He took the $30,000 profit and went on a shopping spree.

"The Marines sent me a list of exactly the models, code, the style and sizes and everything of what they wanted," Frank explained.

What they wanted were plates, helmets and vests that can stop bullets.

Saving lives by building a home, a novel concept for a noble cause.

"I don't want to take any credit, the kids are over there giving their lives," Frank, who also lavishes praise on the folks who donated to the home, said.

This is the second home Frank Ranallo has built for his foundation.

He's also built a custom motorcycle which he plans to auction off on eBay for at least $20,000.

For more information about Frank's oundation, Marine Corps Show of Support:
Call: 651-210-9929
or Write:
P.O. Box 131883
St. Paul, Minnesota 55113

Ellie