PDA

View Full Version : Separated By War Wound, reunited By Purple Heart

thedrifter
05-23-07, 07:56 AM
Separated By War Wound, reunited By Purple Heart
By Joe Wojtas

Published on 5/23/2007

Stonington -- Marine Sgt. Nathaniel Clough remembers the day after Christmas last year as the worst day in his life. That's the day his twin brother, Justin, took a sniper's bullet during military operations in Iraq, and Nathaniel found himself crouched down, holding bandages to the wound.

Justin, a sergeant in the same unit in Iraq, eventually was rushed away for medical treatment, but Nathaniel had to stay behind and lead his squad.

“For 22 years, we'd never been separated. Even in the Marine Corps, when we were in Iraq and Afghanistan, I was never separated from him,” Nathaniel said.

On Tuesday afternoon, the two brothers were together again as Nathaniel presented Justin with his Purple Heart award during a ceremony at the Harley P. Chase Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1265 in Pawcatuck.

“He's someone I've always looked up to. He a good Marine and a tough kid,” Nathaniel said about his brother. “He deserves this.”

Accompanying Nathaniel were three other Marines from their unit, including one who dragged Justin to a truck after he was shot and another who drove the truck to safety. Justin was flown by helicopter to a field

hospital and then airlifted to the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., where he spent three weeks being treated for extensive wounds to his hip and intestines.

Nathaniel got periodic updates on his brother's condition but said he didn't feel comfortable until his parents got to see Justin and told him how he was doing.

Nathaniel did not see his brother again until Feb. 20, when he came home.

The brothers had always talked about what would happen if one of them were shot. They agreed they would stay strong for their men and their parents.

“I tried to keep myself busy. I had my own squad. I had to stay strong for them,” Nathaniel said.

Also on hand Tuesday at the VFW were the Cloughs' parents, other relatives, friends, veterans and a representative from the office of U.S. Rep. Joseph Courtney, D-2nd District.

While the family tried to make the ceremony a surprise for Justin, he said he began to suspect something was up in recent days. Using one crutch and still walking with a limp, he entered the VFW hall with a big smile on his face. He shook the hands of his fellow Marines.

Moments later, Nathaniel called his fellow Marines to attention to begin the ceremony. Justin stood in front of them at attention, wearing jeans and a shirt left untucked.

His voice booming, Nathaniel read a proclamation explaining the details of why Justin was receiving the Purple Heart. After the award was pinned on his shirt pocket, Justin shook the hands of each of the Marines and hugged them.

“I couldn't have asked for anyone better to present me with the award than these guys,” he said.

First Lt. Joseph Calore, who was in the Cloughs' unit, said Justin deserved the ceremony.

“He's the best Marine I've ever met. I'd do anything for this guy,” he said.

Justin said his brother kept telling him there was a delay in the orders for the Purple Heart. Meanwhile, Nathaniel and his fellow Marines were making plans to make the presentation themselves.

Justin said he appreciated not only his fellow Marines showing up to give him the award but also the support of the community.

“It means a lot to me,” he said.

Justin, whose parents moved to Pawcatuck last fall from Maine when his father took a job with Garbo Lobster Co. in Groton, is continuing his rehabilitation at The Westerly Hospital.

“I'm doing well. I just keep trudging along,” he said.

The two brothers, who decided to join the Marines shortly after they turned 18 in 2003, will complete their service in June. They now hope to become police officers.

Ellie