PDA

View Full Version : What does AD do on a daily basis

Mike8520
05-22-07, 08:33 PM
What do AD Marines do on a daily basis.
While its obvious reserves have their regular jobs.
What DO AD Marines do?
Do they all live on base?

And i saw someone post on all of the reserves in a specfic area and it told them what units are at the particular reserve area.

I live in MD and I cant understand what some on the reserve units do.
I would like to know if there are any MP units in my area.
I live in Maryland.

Thanks

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 09:03 PM
Asking what Marines do on a daily basis is like asking what Americans do on a daily basis. It depends in large part on what their job is. As a Multi-Channel Radio Operator we spent the first part of the week making sure all of the vehicles, generators, and trailers were in good working condition. We would then have classes and lectures on the gear, practice using it, testing the radios, etc. When we were in the field, we did our job every day.

You want to be an MP. You'll be on patrol or guarding a gate for the most part. You will live in the barracks unless you are married. Then you will live in base housing or in the town near the base.

The units in MD. are listed here. http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/md.html

I see helo units, LAV units, and engineers. I doubt MPs are going to be a part of that.

Mike8520
05-22-07, 11:13 PM
Asking what Marines do on a daily basis is like asking what Americans do on a daily basis. It depends in large part on what their job is. As a Multi-Channel Radio Operator we spent the first part of the week making sure all of the vehicles, generators, and trailers were in good working condition. We would then have classes and lectures on the gear, practice using it, testing the radios, etc. When we were in the field, we did our job every day.

You want to be an MP. You'll be on patrol or guarding a gate for the most part. You will live in the barracks unless you are married. Then you will live in base housing or in the town near the base.

The units in MD. are listed here. http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/md.html

I see helo units, LAV units, and engineers. I doubt MPs are going to be a part of that.

How did you read the information
to understand that?
Its prob becasue I'm not a Marine but I couldnt understand a thing.
How would I find out where the nearest MP reserve unit is?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 12:48 AM
Marine Transport Squadron, 4th MAW
The MAW means Marine Air Wing. I assume Helo but it doesn't give enough info. I suppose it could be C-130s or something.

Headquarters, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4thMarDiv
It says engineer

Headquarters and Service Company, 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4thMarDiv
Once again, it says engineer.

Engineer Support Company (-), 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4thMarDiv
Engineers again. Support company could mean mechs for equipment and the like. Again, I'm not one so I don't know, just making assumptions off of the available info.

Detachment 1, Headquarters and Service Company, 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 4thMarDiv

LAR means LAVs.

Company B, 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 4thMarDiv
See above.

As for the closest place to be an MP, talk to a recruiter. Don't be surprised if it is a LONG ways away. When I went to the reserves after active duty to keep my primary MOS I would have had to travel about 2000 miles.

1stRad2671
05-23-07, 03:14 PM
4th MAW flies these and maybe more. It's a C-21. Flies the brass all over.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 04:24 PM
They flaw lots of things. That is one good looking military plane. Maybe I need to become someone important so I can get rides on that.

Mike8520
05-23-07, 10:53 PM
The MAW means Marine Air Wing. I assume Helo but it doesn't give enough info. I suppose it could be C-130s or something.

It says engineer

Once again, it says engineer.

Engineers again. Support company could mean mechs for equipment and the like. Again, I'm not one so I don't know, just making assumptions off of the available info.

LAR means LAVs.

See above.

As for the closest place to be an MP, talk to a recruiter. Don't be surprised if it is a LONG ways away. When I went to the reserves after active duty to keep my primary MOS I would have had to travel about 2000 miles.

Would a Marine Air Wing
have helicopters?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-24-07, 12:25 AM
That's where the helos are. But, I don't know about that particular unit. There are four MAWs. One in California (with elements in AZ), one in NC (with elements in SC), one in Okinawa, and the final one is the reserve air wing. Within those air wings are all of the air assets and their support.

A transport squadron is something I am unfamiliar with. It sounds to me like it could be a medium or heavy lift helo squadron or a fixed wing cargo squaron. A call to your recruiter could clear it up, because he would know what jobs were at the unit.

killerinstinct
05-24-07, 08:34 AM
yea the MAW's have MAG's underneath them and each MAG is either fixed wing or helo. with subordinate units being squadrons and MALS.

3rd MAW MAG-16 is the rotary group. MAG-11 is the fixed wing, and the reserve group is MAG-46 the ones from camp pendleton are part of MAG-16 from Miramar too.

killerinstinct
05-24-07, 02:54 PM
it all depends on who your unit is for MP's they all have an original unit.. Like this. they were with MWSG 37 ( Marine Wing Support Group) they are usually motor T, MP's **** like that.

When MP's check on to base they will either be H&HS or will be MWSG 37 and will be fapd to H&HS till they are needed for a deployment. the H&HS MP's never get deployed unless the change from station to a deployable unit. Is usually how **** like that works for MP's they one of those tricky mos's