PDA

View Full Version : Just a few questions. Officer or enlisted..AD or Reserves

Mike8520
05-22-07, 08:26 PM
I have wanted to be a Marine since I was a kid. Then I entered high school and the feeling has come and gone and then come again. I have plans for what I want to do in the future. I either want to be a lawyer,Police Officer or Fly helicopters for the Marine Corps and then eventually the State Police Shock Trauma Center.
My parents aren't exactly to keen on the idea. Also I don't know whether or not I should go enlisted or as an Officer.
Also if anyone could give me some help/guidance on how I can either enter the JAG Corps with the Marines or fly helicopters for the Marines it would be appreciated.
Also I haven't decided yet either if I want to go AD or reserves.
I am currently in college now, if that helps.

Thanks for the help in Advance

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 09:04 PM
To enter the JAG Corps you go to law school and then call the OSO. To fly you go to college and then call the OSO. Enlisted people are not pilots or lawyers. You could enlist and work on helos or be a legal clerk though.

rvillac2
05-22-07, 10:49 PM
There are specific college career tracks for both Lawyers and Aviators in the Marine Corps.

For Aviators, you'll graduate from college, go through an officer's training program (straight OCS, PLC, or NROTC) and then pursue the aviation career track. If you stay focused, do well in school, and maintain a high degree of physical fitness, you should get everything you want.

For lawyers, you'll do the same thing (OCS or PLC, or NROTC) and finish your four-year degree. After TBS, you'll be placed on Reserve Status and allowed to return to Law School. After completing law school, you'll return to active duty status and serve in the JAG office. The Corps pays for all or most of your law school tuition.

Since many years and million dollars of training are invested in you, your obligation to the Corps is longer than other officers. I believe you'll have to serve 6 years AFTER graduating from flight school and or law school.

My information is several years old but I doubt it's changed much. These were the only two specific fields that are gauranteed for officer candidates who apply and are accepted. All other officers can wish for their specialties but are at the mercy of the current needs of the Corps.

Regardless of what you choose, you should:

Develop superior study habits (you don't have to be a braniac, but you have to study really hard and learn how to retain information).

Go straight into a 4-year degree college or university. Starting at community college just delays the start of your career.

Upgrade or continue your physical fitness.

Stay out of trouble. Many many knucklehead actions can disqualify you from becoming an officer (or LAWYER).

Hope this helps.

rvillac2
05-22-07, 10:53 PM
I just saw your profile. Are you really 20 years old?
What are you doing now?

You better get started.

Mike8520
05-22-07, 11:07 PM
I just saw your profile. Are you really 20 years old?
What are you doing now?

You better get started.

I am currently in college.
I have spoken to an Officer recruiter once or twice.
I am also currently trying to loose some weight becasue the recruiter told me I need to get down to 203 to be elgible and I play college football as a Guard and I kind of need my weight. So I am just going to continue to maintain my bodyfat % and try to loose some weight and gain some muscle.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 11:09 PM
that is the same info I have. Of course, you can wait until you're in law school o start the track toward being a JAG, as is shown by the recruiters trying to get law students to enter the program

Mike8520
05-22-07, 11:16 PM
that is the same info I have. Of course, you can wait until you're in law school o start the track toward being a JAG, as is shown by the recruiters trying to get law students to enter the program

Is it a good idea to go PLC?

rvillac2
05-22-07, 11:31 PM
Is it a good idea to go PLC?

The cool thing about PLC and NROTC is that you have an opportunity to finish OCS before your senior year of college. Once you graduate, you can have your pinning ceremony and receive your bars. It's quite a deal when you can officially receive your commission and butter bars in front of your family and classmates.

Personally, I had fun wearing my uniform to these ceremonies and stealing silver dollars from boot lieutenants. ; )

Mike8520
05-22-07, 11:37 PM
The cool thing about PLC and NROTC is that you have an opportunity to finish OCS before your senior year of college. Once you graduate, you can have your pinning ceremony and receive your bars. It's quite a deal when you can officially receive your commission and butter bars in front of your family and classmates.

Personally, I had fun wearing my uniform to these ceremonies and stealing silver dollars from boot lieutenants. ; )

I hope it doesnt show too much here but...
I know the general difference between an officer and enlisted but why is it most people I have talked to are saying I should go the officer route.

Also do they have reserve officers or is reserves only for enlisted?

Thanks again

davblay
05-23-07, 12:41 AM
I hope it doesnt show too much here but...
I know the general difference between an officer and enlisted but why is it most people I have talked to are saying I should go the officer route.

Also do they have reserve officers or is reserves only for enlisted?

Thanks again
The main reason people go Officer is the money, then leadership opportunities. (not nessesarily in that order). Besides it looks good on a resume iof you don't make a career of the Corps!

Yes they have officers in the Reserves as well! Gotta have em there to!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 12:52 AM
A guard at 203? That wouldn't work in the lowest class of highschool ball around here, so I am sure it won't for you either. But, there is no reason to not stay under 18% body fat.

Mike8520
05-23-07, 06:49 PM
A guard at 203? That wouldn't work in the lowest class of highschool ball around here, so I am sure it won't for you either. But, there is no reason to not stay under 18% body fat.

Yea i know..my coaches would kill me if i was that small.
I weigh about 250 now and I'm in pretty good shape. I could pass all the PT requirments but I dont think I could max out on the pull ups.
The 18% shouldnt be a problem though.
Any advice on how to improve pull ups??

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-23-07, 07:04 PM
Do a search in the poolee hall, there are many threads about that subject. I don't know how many you can do now. If it is just a few, look for the Stew Smith program. If you can do more than 5 or 6 try either Recon Ron or Armstrong.

Zulu 36
05-23-07, 07:45 PM
Any advice on how to improve pull ups??

Yup. Keep doing them and keep trying to do more.

Mike8520
05-23-07, 10:56 PM
Do a search in the poolee hall, there are many threads about that subject. I don't know how many you can do now. If it is just a few, look for the Stew Smith program. If you can do more than 5 or 6 try either Recon Ron or Armstrong.

Okay Thank you