PDA

View Full Version : Can I Go to College While IN the Marines?

mjcb23
05-22-07, 09:02 AM
Hey,
I am a little confused on the Marines policy with going to college. I understand that they will help pay for college, but i was wondering if i can go to college while actually being in the Marines? and if so, I was wondering how I will do that. Do i just go to night classes?

thanks

rvillac2
05-22-07, 09:26 AM
You can take an occasional class by correspondence or sometimes on a ship. However, do not count on being able to do this regularly. Now, more than ever, operational tempos make steady classroom attendance very difficult.
The simple answer is "it depends."

Plan on putting any serious college attendance on hold until after your enlistment.

Cash2053
06-05-07, 04:46 PM
You can go to college while in the marines. Just keep in mind the possibility for deployment. It is much easier to go to college while in the airwing than on the ground side. Online is the easiest way to go to college while in the military, or you can go at night depending on your work schedule. Dont expect to go full time though, part time is more practical.

MKinney
06-05-07, 07:05 PM
I attend college classes. The department I work for has a very low chance to deploy unless it's an individual action deployment. My staff NCOs and SNCOIC push us to take more classes and try for a Bachelors before getting done here in two years.
So it's very possible. Just ask.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-05-07, 07:53 PM
A four year degree in two years? That would be, on average, 32 credit hours a semester. They're pretty crazy if they think you can do that.

MKinney
06-05-07, 09:11 PM
We have 5 terms a year each 2 months long. It's possible if you are available, to do 2 classes per term. Plus with MCIs and some training counting for college credits.

Hmm now that I think. An associates would be very easy, and you could be well on your way to a bachelors or if you have had previous college you could get one. Just depends on how many classes you can take.

MSgtBowling
06-10-07, 10:35 PM
Depending on which school you choose they will count MCI's and military schools for credit. I went to school on and off whenever I had a chance. It took me a long time. The last two years I was in the Corps. I went to school every other saturday and sunday for eight hours a day. I did three college courses thruogh the computer while deployed to Iraq. Took About two online courses per semester. Finally finished my BS, most of the work done in the last three years. The Corps paid for it all with tuition assistance. It was a pain in the ass, but it can be done.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-11-07, 11:08 AM
My school gave no credits for any military training I had other than 2 hours of PE. All of the MCIs and classes were ignored totally.

And I don't care if there are 20 terms. To get a BA in two years you would have to take more than double what is full time status. The fastest I know of anyone getting a degree was 2 1/2 years- and she wasn't working at the time- all college all the time.

To get an associates you would have to average 15 hours per semester (tradition break down). If thatis easy for you to do then I was in the wrong MOS! I am sure there are places where it is possible, but I don't want wannabes to think that is normal.