PDA

View Full Version : Helo Ops

TheJester
05-21-07, 08:53 PM
Hey I'm having a slight problem and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Basically on Wed and Thurs we are conducting basic helo ops (Being picked and dropped off by 46s and 53s) and...

sgt tony
05-21-07, 11:31 PM
Just watch out for the rotors and the wash. Keep your head down and load up.

Semper Fi and Carry On Marine.

ThreeOneVet
05-22-07, 07:17 AM
I spent 5 years with Kilo 3/1 a helo unit PM me if you are still looking for info. My main questions are: Are you simply embarking/debarking and staying over land? Are you going ship to shore and vice versa? Are you fast roping, repelling or SPIE rigging? Are you going to be lead and have to mark the LZ? Let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Ignition
05-22-07, 08:20 AM
remember to buckle up

lucien2
05-22-07, 02:21 PM
It's been so long since MOST of us have done helo lifts that you may want to ask your platoon Sergeant/Commander, unless there is an "winger" here that has an answer.....my advice, keep track of your gear and follow the instructions of the crew chief who is responsible for getting you on and off the bird safely.

TheJester
05-22-07, 11:25 PM
To answer your questions were just getting picked up, moved to another LZ and getting off (then repeating the process to another LZ). No SPIE Rigging, or HRST stuff just the basics. There will be 3 waves of 2 helos each and I will be in the 2nd (kinda wierd since the other half of my platoon comes in the third wave but we got that out during rehearsals today) Thanks for the advice

Sgt Leprechaun
05-23-07, 03:12 PM
1. Stay low. Watch your rotors. In AND out.

2. Watch the ramps. In other words, footwork/footplacement. Falling on the ramp will MESS you the heck up wearing full gear, knees, legs, shins, etc.

3. Weapons...muzzle discipline!!!!

4. Egressing the a/c....quickly, but smartly. Footwork, watch your head, proper distance away from the a/c, perimeter. Once down, STAY down until the bird is fully airborne.

I think that's about it.... :)

outlaw3179
05-23-07, 05:20 PM
Keep your head down form a 180 weapons outboard, wait till all Helos have left. link up with who you need to . During this time only the squad leader should be up everyone else is on security. When everyone links up and gets the word get your Marines up and move. If your the platoon sgt. find all "sticks" and make sure you get a good head count. Also make sure your squad leaders get a visual on all weapons systems. Dont be leaving a baseplate or some tripod on a HELO. Just like the Marines stated ESPECIAllYon a 53 get them to practice turning left. our pushing out to form the 180.