PDA

View Full Version : Battle Color Ceremony - Drum and Bugle Corps, Silent Drill Platoon perform for Depot

Shaffer
03-10-03, 05:13 PM
Old Glory flew high over Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, Saturday, as the garrison flag was raised above the 50 state flags for the Battle Color ceremony that featured "The Commandant's Own" U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and the U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon.

Marines, both old and new, sailors, civilians, and recruits gathered on the parade deck, filled with anticipation as they awaited the arrival of "The Commandant's Own."

"The ceremony is called 'Battle Color' because the Marine Corps flag is dressed with streamers representing more than 400 battles," said Capt. Brian Jenkins, protocol officer, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.

A drum started to beat and the band began to blast their horns as they marched from the flagpole toward the reviewing stand.

The audience stood and started to cheer as the band formed in front of them and began belting out several patriotic tunes such as "Marines' Hymn" and "The Star Spangled Banner."

The combination of their complex music and their intricate marching formations, along with some drill from Gunnery Sgt. Mark S. Miller, drum major, U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps, made the crowd applaud even more as they marched up and down the parade deck, their red coats blazing in the San Diego sun.

"The band's music alone was great," said Jenkins. "But I am truly amazed at how they can do marching movements at the same time.

"The ceremony is a testament of the Marines' dedication to practice and perfection," added Jenkins.

The band finished their set and marched off to the side as they passed the spotlight to the U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon.

The drill team marched in front of the reviewing stand, clapping their wooden M-1 Garand rifles along the way.

The platoon sergeant formed the Marines into one squad and began conducting rifle inspections. He stepped in front of a lance corporal.

The Marine began to twirl and flip his rifle in the air, then flipped it over his back to the inspecting Marine, who replicated the motions previously done, then returned the rifle to its owner by flipping it over his back.

"The performance was very good," said Capt. John Lehane, Aide De Camp, MCRD San Diego and Western Recruiting Region.

"I've seen 'The Commandant's Own" and the Silent Drill Platoon four or five times, and Saturday's ceremony was the best I've seen," he added.

As "The Commandant's Own" and the U.S. Marine Corps Silent Drill Team marched off the parade deck, the people in the stands still stood in awe of the ceremony, their loud cheers and applause echoed throughout the Depot.

"The Battle Color ceremony is a rare treat," said Jenkins.

"It only comes here once a year, and I leave feeling closer to the Corps every time I witness this motivating, historic spectacle," he added.

For many, this is the first time to see the Battle Color ceremony.

Most senior Marines, however, have seen it several times and know the true meaning and inspiration of it all.

"(The Battle Color Ceremony) is significant because it showcases a great part of our Corps; drill, ceremonies, precision, sharp appearance, and martial music," said Maj. Gen. Jan Huly, commanding general, MCRD San Diego and Western Recruiting Region.

"It motivates us as Marines and inspires pride in who we are and what we do. Further, it exposes a great part of our society to a side of the Corps they might not know. It definitely gives a positive image to all who see it," Huly added.