PDA

View Full Version : Rank

119Wrestler
05-21-07, 11:40 AM
What comes after 1st Sgt? Is it Master Gunnery Seargent, or Seargent Major? I used to think it was Master Gunnery Seargent.

davblay
05-21-07, 11:47 AM
SGM is after 1st SGT, MGS is after MSgt

119Wrestler
05-21-07, 01:55 PM
sgm?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-21-07, 02:43 PM
Sgt. Major follows First Sgt.

Master Gunnery Sgt. follows Master Sgt.

Phantom Blooper
05-21-07, 03:15 PM
sgm?

Forgiveness is a virtue. davblay is first and foremost a Marine,but every now and then his posts are riddled with the time he spent in the Army after his service in Vietnam.

SGM- Army
Sgt Major- United States Marine Corps

Enuff said! :evilgrin:

drumcorpssnare
05-21-07, 03:39 PM
Is the following a correct clarification?

Master Sgt. - E-8

1st Sgt. - E-9 (office billet)

M/Gy Sgt - E-9 (field billet)

Sgt. Major - E-10 (Bn. level, Regt. level, Div. level, etc.)

Also, a quick question. I'm reading a new book about drill instructors; by drill instructors. One of the contributors stated..."There's only 'one' Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps, and he has two stars between his stripes."

Doesn't 'the' Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps have the Marine Corps Emblem on his chevrons?
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-21-07, 03:49 PM
No.

E-8= 1st Sgt or MSgt.

E-9= Sgt Maj or MGySgt

Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps has three stripes, four rockers, and an EGA flanked by two stars in the center.

rvillac2
05-21-07, 03:55 PM
Is the following a correct clarification?

Master Sgt. - E-8

1st Sgt. - E-9 (office billet)

M/Gy Sgt - E-9 (field billet)

Sgt. Major - E-10 (Bn. level, Regt. level, Div. level, etc.)

Also, a quick question. I'm reading a new book about drill instructors; by drill instructors. One of the contributors stated..."There's only 'one' Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps, and he has two stars between his stripes."

Doesn't 'the' Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps have the Marine Corps Emblem on his chevrons?

MOS Masters go from Master Sgt (E-8) to Master Gunnery Sgt (E-9).
Command Sgts go from 1st Sgt (E-8) to Sgt Major (E-9).
There is no E-10.

The Sgt Maj of the Marine Corps, also E-9, has an EGA flanked by two stars between the chevrons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Marine_Corps_enlisted_rank_insignia

drumcorpssnare
05-21-07, 04:04 PM
Thanks gentlemen! I'm gettin' old and have a bad case of CRS! (can't remember sh!t):D

Quinbo
05-21-07, 04:16 PM
1st Sgts and Sgt Majors are permanately reassigned the MOS 9999. Msgts and Master Guns retain their MOS. Gunnery Sergeants must indicate on their fitness reports whether they are striking for 1st Sgt or Msgt. Interesting to note that from the day you step on the yellow foot prints until the day you graduate MOS school your MOS is 9900. OCS candidates are MOS 9902.

davblay
05-21-07, 06:26 PM
Forgiveness is a virtue. davblay is first and foremost a Marine,but every now and then his posts are riddled with the time he spent in the Army after his service in Vietnam.

SGM- Army
Sgt Major- United States Marine Corps

Enuff said! :evilgrin:

Thanks and you are right, 19 years is a long time and I have a brain fart occasionally! Semper Fi

davecerami275
05-22-07, 07:33 AM
MGySgt 1. When you meet a MGySgt in the passageway and say, &quot;What's up <br />
Master Guns?&quot;, he says, &quot;What's up Devil Dog?&quot; <br />
<br />
SgtMaj 1. When you meet a SgtMaj in the passageway and say, &quot;What's up...

MGySgtSki
05-22-07, 08:16 AM
That's some good stuff right there!!:thumbup: <br />
<br />
S/F