PDA

View Full Version : Veterans, families get tour of Hall's new American Freedom Garden

thedrifter
05-21-07, 11:22 AM
Veterans, families get tour of Hall's new American Freedom Garden

By ASHLEY COX
The Times

Carolyn Brinson stood silently, looking up at the pillar that bears her father's name. Bob Cathey passed away three years ago, but his name, along with those of hundreds of others living and dead, are memorialized in the Northeast Georgia History Center's American Freedom Garden.

"It means a lot," Brinson said Sunday afternoon during a reception honoring the families of Freedom Garden donors and military veterans. "I know it would mean a lot to him to be here, too."

"An American Freedom Garden" honors all military veterans, whose names and military information are engraved on granite pillars in a "Circle of Honor."

Inside the circle is a bronze statue of five children, symbolizing the gift of freedom to the next generation. An open space between two of the children invites a visiting child to join hands with the statue, thus completing the "Circle of Freedom."

The back wall of the garden tells the story of America's Pathway to Freedom, beginning with World War I.

On Sunday, people milled around the garden, stopping to look at each pillar. Some took pictures with family members.

Cathey's family recalled his time of service with the U.S. Marines during World War II.

"He had a strong passion for the war and the country and for what freedom meant here in the United States," Brinson said.

He also loved telling war stories.

The owner of Cathey Furniture Company would share his experiences with any customer who came in.

"I don't think there's a person here in Gainesville that hasn't heard one of his war stories," Brinson said with a smile.

Cathey's widow, Peggy, said her husband enjoyed his military service.

"He loved the Marines," she said. "They were his best brothers."

And her feelings seeing his name engraved in one of the Freedom Garden's pillars: "I'm just proud."

Gainesville resident Jill Scoville, a self-proclaimed "military brat," had a grandfather who fought in World War II and a father who served in the Vietnam War.

The names of Hugh Childs and John Avery weren't engraved on a pillar, but Scoville still had an appreciation for the garden.

"I think it's time they did this," she said. "Gainesville's given a lot to the military. I'm very proud that they were able to do this."

The garden also has special meaning for World War II Navy veteran Martin Locey, whose name is engraved on a family pillar along with those of his father and two stepbrothers.

"I think it's a great honor," Locey said. "To me, it was a unique opportunity for the four of us to be listed together."

Locey also recognized the names of many friends who have served in the military as he strolled through the garden.

"We think it's good to be able to (have our names) listed here," he said. "This is our home."

Originally published Monday, May 21, 2007

Ellie