PDA

View Full Version : Fox weathers storm; near 70-mph gusts recorded

Shaffer
03-10-03, 05:13 PM
CAMP FOX, Kuwait (March 7, 2003) -- Fourteen Marines sustained minor injuries and more than 109 billeting and work tents were blown down here following a wind storm last night. The storm left some wondering what happened and others joining together to rebuild.

At about 11 p.m., instruments recorded wind gust of more than 69 miles per hour. According to Staff Sgt. Duane Kortman Jr., the Marine Logistics Command meteorology oceanographic chief, the destructive winds remained for more than two hours. During this time, they averaged 60-70 mph.

At the Headquarters and Service Battalion area, the storm's first damage was at the dining facility. Three, 100-foot long tents filled with tables and chairs immediately collapsed to the ground. Soon, numerous began to experience the storm's ravage.

The MLC responded Marines responded, according to Gunnery Sgt. Anthony Page, the company gunnery sergeant for Headquarters Company. He said it was great to see the Marines come out of their living quarters to save their camp.

"The Marines worked together in adverse conditions and limited visibility," the Kingstree, S.C., native said. "It's just part of being a Marine. We can't let weather determine our mission. Marines never quit; even as sand and other debris flew overhead."

Kortman said although a high wind warning had been posted more than five hours prior, the meteorology team had no idea the gusts would be as strong. He added that safety becomes the biggest issue during destructive weather. On scene, the safety precautions were obvious as most of the Marines running around wore flak jackets, Kevlar helmets and goggles.

Besides the dining facility other work tents such as the area post office and newly erected chapel took a big hit. On scene, change-of-address cards flew everywhere as postal clerks, who woke up to hear their work section was destroyed, scrambled to ensure no mail or packages were lost.

Lance Cpl. Angel Lugo, a Service Company postal clerk, was one of the first to respond to the mail and other's needs.

"I sat up, felt the force of the winds and heard sounds coming from everywhere," the Waterbury, Conn., native said. "Porta-Johns'" were falling over. I put on my shoes, stepped outside and blowing sand scraped my face."

Lugo said he checked to make sure his girlfriend's picture was still there, and then dealt with the immediate mail threat. He and others then spent the early morning hours preventing other tents from falling.

The Marines and sailors from Marine Logistics Command are based out of Camp Lejeune, N.C., with the 2nd Force Service Support Group. MLC elements first arrived here in late-December in support of the global war against terrorism.

Officials here said the high winds associated with the storm were abnormal. New tent reinforcements, additional berms and numerous other steps have been made to ensure the camp is adequately prepared should this occur again.