PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters keep an eye on future Marines

thedrifter
05-21-07, 07:10 AM
Recruiters keep an eye on future Marines

By JESSICA JOHNSON
The (Charleston) Post and Courier

Josh Mendenhall spent about a week considering attending college, but the James Island High School senior opted to join the Marine Corps instead.

"I couldn't see myself doing four more years of schooling," Mendenhall said.

He set up an appointment with his local recruiter and joined the delayed entry program in December. He plans to go to boot camp in July.

Since Mendenhall signed on the dotted line, a recruiter meets with him and his family often.

Mendenhall's father, Steve McGuiggan, said the recruiter is hands-on.

"They call constantly to see how you are doing," he said.

The days of signing up and being shipped off to boot camp have been gone from the Marines since the 1970s, said Capt. Michael Beames, the executive officer of the recruiting station in Columbia.

Recruiting has become almost a mentoring process, especially when recruits sign up as part of the delayed enlistment program. Recruiters meet with those who have signed to join at least once a week. And each month potential Marines come to the recruiting command for a "pool function."

Mendenhall was recently one of several Marine recruits who ran through neighborhoods behind the Marine Corps Recruiting Command. The run tested Mendenhall's physical strength and more.

"It serves a lot of purposes. One is to actually physically see the person and to make sure he is in good health," Beames said.

Marines are required to do a minimum of two pull-ups and 44 crunches in boot camp. Men are required to run a mile and a half in about 13 minutes; women get about two more minutes to finish the distance.

The pool function allows recruiters to check those waiting to go to boot camp to ensure their success. In rescreening, if someone is losing performance, it signals interest may be waning or that the recruit isn't eating right, Beames said.

"We want to make sure that recruits are mentally and physically prepared for boot camp," Beames said.

Beames said they also need to know if the students have gotten into any legal trouble or received traffic tickets. They also need to ensure that the recruits will graduate from high school.

Recruiter Staff Sgt. Paul Davis said he sits in the classroom with a recruit when necessary.

If Mendenhall makes it to Parris Island, he will be one of possibly eight recruits the North Charleston office is responsible for shipping to boot camp each month.

One of Mendenhall's friends may join him at boot camp, but for the most part, his peers say he's going to go to Iraq and get killed.

"A lot of people criticize me," Mendenhall said. "It just doesn't bother me. It bothers my classmates. People should be thanking me I am fighting for them," Mendenhall said. "People don't get it."

Mendenhall, who will train to be an air traffic controller, said he joined partly because of Sept. 11. He said he isn't afraid of going to Iraq.

McGuiggan said he and Mendenhall work out together to reduce his son's stress and they often consult with Mendenhall's recruiter. McGuiggan joked about the heavy level of involvement from the recruiter.

"It's kind of like college in a way, but college with a baby sitter," McGuiggan said.

Ellie