PDA

View Full Version : Marines, band a blend of two loves

thedrifter
05-21-07, 07:06 AM
May 21, 2007
Marines, band a blend of two loves

By Anna L. Griffin CORRESPONDENT
agriffin@telegram.com

LEOMINSTER— Andrew Wawryzniak has the rare opportunity of blending two interests he has grown to love: the Marine Corps and music.

The Leominster High School senior, who is a Marine private first class, has been selected for the U.S. Marine Corps music program.

It wasn’t his first choice.

“Actually, I wanted to be part of the infantry,” he said.

Being part of the Marine Corps infantry is a goal he has held since he was 5 years old. Now 18, he decided at age 17 to join the Marine Corps. It took some convincing of his parents, Gretchen and James, to get them to sign the papers needed so he could join the Marines delayed-entry program.

“I don’t think they were too happy about it, especially my mom,” he said of his decision. “But they did allow me to do it.”

He earned private first class rank on the recommendation of his Marine Corps recruiter, and by virtue of having attained Eagle Scout. His Eagle Scout project was to build a garden at the city’s Sholan Farms.

Pfc. Wawryzniak, who is called “Wazzy” by his teachers and band mates, has played the trumpet since he was in the fifth grade.

“Someone in my family had a trumpet, so instead of renting a musical instrument, I just decided to play the trumpet,” he said.

And play it he did, starting in the band at Northwest School and Southeast Middle School. At Leominster High School he is part of the Leominster High School jazz, concert and marching bands.

In early April — at the request of his Marine Corps recruiter — he met with a Marine Corps musician for a tryout.

Marine bands are assigned to Marine field commands throughout the United States, as well as in Hawaii and Japan.

These units provide music to support military ceremonies and official activities as well as community relations programs.

In addition, there is the U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps — the elite band that serves the Marine Corps commandant.

“I was nervous, because I didn’t really have anything prepared to play. I asked Mr. Hudson (Barry Hudson, Leominster High School music director) what would be a good piece to play and he picked something out for me,” Pfc. Wawryzniak said.

An intensive practice session followed and, after that, the audition, which was followed by the good news: He was accepted into the Marine Corps music program.

“I had no doubt about Wazzy’s abilities,” said Mr. Hudson. “He’s just an all-around great kid. He’s a leader in all of our instrumental groups. He’s a fine musician. I think these are all qualities that are going to take him far and make him perfect for the Marine Corps music program.”

Pfc. Wawryzniak said the Marine music program representative told him tryouts for the program were held in 11 states in the Northeast — with more than 20 young people trying out for one spot.

“And I got that spot,” he said.

In July, he leaves for Parris Island, S.C., for boot camp. After that, he will undergo two months of intensive combat training, followed by six months of music school with the Marine Corps.

“Following the music school, I will be placed in a Marine Corps band,” he said. “But what I really want to do is to try out for the Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps. There are a bunch of Marine Corps bands, but only one drum and bugle unit and that’s what I want.”

Regardless of where he ends up, Pfc. Wawryzniak said, he wants to be a Marine.

“Every second Saturday of the month, my recruiter gets a bunch of us together and, we have some exercises at Devens — team building, training, those types of things. I love it.”

“I know I am fortunate to have this opportunity to play with the Marine Corps band, but I think I am most fortunate to be able to be a Marine,” he added.

Ellie