PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted or Officer

RecruitRunner
05-20-07, 11:33 PM
I was reading a post where another poolee wanted to go into enlisted before becoming an officer. I myself just have earned a 4 year degree and have enlisted. But now I'm starting to think of going into OCS. My only fears of going into OCS is that they can let you go from OCS after 4 weeks for reasons they think you won't be a good leader. It would really sink to go through all that training and not to become a Marine. Right now I'm planning on shipping for boot camp in september as a reservist so I have time to get a OCS package together for the October class. I'm just really torn between elisted and officer. Every enlisted Marine I talk to tells me to go officer.

rvillac2
05-21-07, 01:12 AM
Here's another one telling you to go officer.

davblay
05-21-07, 01:17 AM
http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/2006militarypaytables/2007_Web_Pay_Table.pdf

Use the link to compare the pay between E-1 and O-1----then think of all the reasons you really want to join the Corps! Go from there! :marine:

Zulu 36
05-21-07, 06:35 AM
But remember this: What is the difference between a PFC and a 2d Lt.?

A PFC has been promoted once.

:)

MKinney
05-21-07, 08:43 AM
Go Mustang. If I can, I would like to get at least Sergeant before applying for OCS. That way you get experience as enlisted and can be an even better Officer. Or if you want to stay within your MOS field, there's always Warrant Officer.

killerinstinct
05-21-07, 09:17 AM
be an officer

maverickmarine
05-21-07, 09:37 AM
And again, Go Officer.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-21-07, 12:13 PM
Be an officer unless you just desire the work of the enlisted. It is different. But, if there is any possibility that you're going to want to apply for OCS later, just do it now. Unless you're just totally not cut out for the Marine Corps they're not going to kick you out of OCS after four weeks. If you really are worried about that you really don't belong as enlisted or an officer.

RecruitRunner
05-22-07, 12:33 AM
mmm, I did want to go enlisted because honestly I wanted the experience of going through Parris Island. You sit around a recruiter station for a long time and thats all you hear about. I'm going...

killerinstinct
05-22-07, 07:50 AM
they may not respect them but theyll still salute them and not talk back unless its an e-8 and the officer ****ed up on something hardcore ive seen a boot officer get chewed out...

but anyways trust me if you can be an officer right now DO IT!!!! you think ur recruiters respect a boot pfc or pvt?? just like enlisted you earn the respect....

im telling ya but if you have your mind on that welll good luck to ya

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-07, 11:21 AM
I would respect a new boot Lt. direct from college than I would respect a new boot Lt. that had a degree and enlisted anyway. But, to be blunt- once you have some time in the Marine Corps boot...

ggyoung
05-22-07, 05:32 PM
Officer. The bennafits are so much better. Get abord ship and compair living spaces. I beleve that OCS is harder than bootcamp but worth the effort.

RecruitRunner
05-31-07, 09:50 PM
I made up my mind and started an OCS package for the Fall class. Although I'm still getting sh** from my grunt buddy about becoming a reserve officer. He said I'll never get any respect from the enlisted, mmm I thought respect was earn no matter who you are?

davblay
05-31-07, 11:27 PM
E4B, we all know who runs a platoon! But we have to have that Butter Bar up front, right? :)

davblay
05-31-07, 11:29 PM
I made up my mind and started an OCS package for the Fall class. Although I'm still getting sh** from my grunt buddy about becoming a reserve officer. He said I'll never get any respect from the enlisted, mmm I thought respect was earn no matter who you are?

Let them try when they meet you after your commisioning, yeah---right! ;)

A Reserve Officer doesn't have a huge tatoo that says USMCR on his forehead ya know!

sirmess1
06-05-07, 12:23 AM
I enlisted in the reserves while in college with no plans to make it an career, but a deployment to Iraq changed my views. I found I like the life, and I wanted to make a difference, so I went to active duty officer route.The experience I gained as an enlisted is invaluable. OCS and Bootcamp are two different things. Both are challenging, but not impossible. Don't worry about respect, that is earned by your doing your job well. You can be a private or a boot Lt, if you are a good Marine and do your job,you will get respect.