PDA

View Full Version : 6th Marine unit back home

thedrifter
05-20-07, 08:46 AM
May 20, 2007 - 12:00AM
6th Marine unit back home

KELLEY CHAMBERS
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Cpl. Cory Suttle returned from deployment on Saturday, but his parents, John and Susan Burtz, have been rolling out his welcome wagon since Thursday.

Having thought their son was coming back that day with another battalion, John and Susan Burtz of central Florida were crushed when Thursday's batch of returning troops yielded no familiar faces.

This time, Susan said, nothing could keep her from her 21-year-old son.

"He was with Alpha Company but got switched over to Weapons, and we didn't know it," Susan said. "I'm not leaving today until I've got him."

Burtz and hundreds of others waited hours for the arrival of Camp Lejeune's 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division. Home from a nine-month deployment to Iraq, roughly 300 Marines and sailors fulfilled counterinsurgency operations the city of Ramadi in the Al Anbar Province.

Originally scheduled for a seven-month deployment, their stay was extended another 45 days as part of President Bush's plan.

Maj. Daniel Zappa, executive officer for the battalion, said its mission was a critical one to Operation Iraqi Freedom, as troops successfully cleaned out an area long known for its hostility.

A total of 12 lives were lost during the operations, Zappa said.

"Before our arrival, Ramadi was lost and the Anbar Province was very violent," Zappa said. "Not a lot of progress had been made, and we had the opportunity to make a difference.

Although the added time was difficult to swallow - both for the deployed and their families - Zappa said it was a crucial move for completing the mission.

"It was challenging, they all wanted to come home but they made the most of it," Zappa said. "But it helped us achieve things no one thought we could."

Kathleen Matheny waited patiently with the family of her fianc , Lance Cpl.. Brandon Smith. Relaxing in the shade on lawn chairs, they talked about the long-awaited reunion and planned a feast of Brandon's favorite foods.

Engaged nearly a year, Brandon had not only the completion of his first deployment to celebrate, he also had a birthday and a wedding to look forward to next month.

"It's been hard, but everyone adapts and we learn to overcome it," said Matheny 19, of Columbia, S.C. "This makes us closer as a couple even though we've been far apart, if that makes any sense."

Sue Jurney remembered Jan. 10 as the day she found out about the extension.

"My husband called me at like 11 p.m. right after the president's speech," Jurney said. "I was very surprised and shocked."

As a key volunteer and wife of the unit's commanding officer, Lt. Col. Bill Jurney, Sue was also responsible for notifying the other wives and family members.

"You have to regroup, refocus and set new goals to get you through the extended days, it was a gut punch," she said. "But (everyone) stayed very strong and handled this very well. We made it through the last 10 yards."

Staff Sgt. John McClure enjoyed a well-deserved beer shortly after finding his wife, Melissa, among the teary crowd. Aside from spending time with his wife and family, McClure said he was looking the most forward to relaxing and enjoying the simple things in life.

"I'm ready to put on different colored clothes and take a shower that's more than 45 seconds," said McClure, 30.

A veteran of other deployments, McClure said he knew this one was an important piece to the overall mission in Iraq despite many obstacles and dangers.

"We turned a city upside down (into) something the country of Iraq wants its country to be," he said. "It was the younger guys that made everything happen."

Contact Kelley Chambers at kchambers@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8462.

Ellie