PDA

View Full Version : Cups of kindness Kids' lemonade stand benefits wounded soldiers

thedrifter
05-20-07, 08:01 AM
Cups of kindness Kids' lemonade stand benefits wounded soldiers

By By Emily Peck
Special Correspondent

May 20, 2007

Anthony Rubino of Stamford donned a Marine helmet, thinking about the wounded Marines he would soon be helping. He went to the end of his street in Springdale with his best friend, Johnny Somers, also of Stamford, and began the two-hour mission.

Anthony, 9, and Johnny, 8, sold lemonade May 5 on the side of the road, raising $105 to send to Marines who are hospitalized in Iraq.

"I wanted to help the wounded Marines," Anthony says. "They need the money more than I do. It feels really good."

While Johnny waved an American flag, the two Toquam School students yelled to passing cars to support the troops and help the wounded Marines.

Anthony's father, John Rubino, is a Marine veteran and senior vice commandant of the Marine Corps League, Lock City Detachment, in Stamford. The money the boys raised was given to the league to send to Iraq, along with care packages as part of the League's Care Package Program that Rubino has run from his house for three years. Anthony helps the League by drawing pictures and packing boxes, but he wanted to do a little more.

"He loves being a part of what his dad does," Rubino says.

About half the money the boys raised came from people who gave donations without accepting a glass of lemonade, Anthony says.

"When I gave (passersby) the news, some of them didn't have any money on them and said they'd come back later, and a lot of them did," he says. "We got a lot more near the end of the day."

Anthony advises kids who would like to help out Marines or other branches of the armed forces by selling lemonade, cookies or candy to go a busy street, make a stand out of cardboard, get a big jar with a sign on it asking for donations, shout out to cars, wave a flag, anything to get people's attention.

"Kids usually want money to go out and buy things, so I was really proud of him for wanting to do this," Rubino says.

The Marine Corps League ships care packages to eight to 10 units every week - including Stamford Marines in Iraq and other Marine units. The Marine Corps League Lock City Detachment is a nonprofit organization made up of Marine veterans from World War II through the current conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. The league is accepting care package items and funds to help support the care package program. Call John Rubino at 329-9918 or visit www.mcleague.com.

Items requested by U.S. troops:

* DVD movies (new or used)

* Dried fruit, chips and snacks

* Instant noodles

* White socks

* Powdered drinks

* Canned, ready-to-eat food

* AA batteries

* Canned ravioli

* Prepaid phone cards

* Fruit cups and pudding

* Sunflower seeds, nuts and hard candy