PDA

View Full Version : wearing medals

capmarine
05-19-07, 08:16 PM
the VA again has asked all veterans to wear their medals/ribbons on Memorial Day.i will and on 4th of July.

bootlace15
05-19-07, 08:34 PM
I wear mine everyday. They are mine,I earned them and I have nothing to be ashamed of. You earn them you wear them. Pizz on the VA. They have no right nor anyone else has a right to tell me when to wear the medals I earned.

If anyone is ashamed to wear their medals that is their problem not mine. The VA should have other things to worry about other than medals. Maybe the basterds running the VA need to figure out how to rob us again to get more raises they don't deserve.....................

bootlace15 out

Sgt Leprechaun
05-20-07, 05:57 AM
Ummm....not everyone 'wears their medals', as in, full sized ones, every single day. THAT is what they are asking, which I think is a good thing.

Nowhere in that post was mentioned anything about anyone being ashamed or anything else to wear their medals......

This is a tradition that actually started overseas in Britain, and they are trying to transistion it to here.

I wore my rack of mini medals last year and got many favorable comments. I highly suggest any military person, active, former, or retired, do so.

Jarheadtanker
05-20-07, 07:17 AM
I agree, Lep. I am in the process of getting myself a new set of medals and ribbons from my time in. I have never actually worn my decorations in any setting other than when in the Marines so I forsee positive feedback from the general population. Lets get the word out, lets show everyone what Marine Corps. pride is!

3077India
05-20-07, 08:20 AM
I wear mine everyday. They are mine,I earned them and I have nothing to be ashamed of. You earn them you wear them. Pizz on the VA. They have no right nor anyone else has a right to tell me when to wear the medals I earned.

If anyone is ashamed to wear their medals that is their problem not mine. The VA should have other things to worry about other than medals. Maybe the basterds running the VA need to figure out how to rob us again to get more raises they don't deserve.....................

bootlace15 outI think the VA was merely ENCOURAGING veterans to wear their medals NOT ORDERING them to wear them. At least that is how I took it. :p :nerd:

capmarine
05-20-07, 08:41 AM
i wore mine last veterans day and will do so Memorial Day.got some looks but positive.i bought a jean vest from sgt grits,i plan on putting a few of my patches on it,wearing it on certain occasions.(the vest has the Eagle,Globe and Anchor embossed on the back)

3BadgeMarine
05-20-07, 09:19 AM
:!: Gentlemen regarding the wearing of decorations, it is a regular occurrence across the big pond,Veterans day,Armistice day and regular certain dates,the last one being RM Association day at the RM Commando training centre.
A bunch of the 'Old and Bold'
http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/bootneck54/compo.jpg

bootlace15
05-20-07, 11:08 AM
I humbly stand corrected. I wear my mini medals,but regular regulation ribbons. I also wear hat pin medals.

bootlace15 out

deanbakken
05-20-07, 02:38 PM
As a not so mean/lean Marine of yesteryear the VA has been good to me in a much needed way. I salute the Medical team. Reddog

jcart
05-20-07, 02:49 PM
as a corpsman ,having served w/pride w/the 3rd mar div.tdy here and there,what am i entitled to wear w/o any reprecussiouns from the navy or the corps?? natl defense ribbon,mrksmn w/ 45 sharpshooter w/m16 sea svc dep w/3 stars,unit comm medal and is there a chart so i don't screw up?? thanks for any info.

skyhawker
05-20-07, 04:38 PM
I wear my mini medals everyday when I put on my hat that has the Retired patch on it.Only have the Good conduct from the corp, but have 8 other medals from the Army.

SEMPER FI I'm still a Marine

davblay
05-20-07, 04:43 PM
Ya know I have never worn my ribbons in civilian life, however, that will change this year! The Ribbons I care about are my Corps Ribbons as I Have a boat load of them from my 19 years in the Army! I just don't have the pride in the ribbons I was awarded in the Army as the ones I earned in the War! I ain't no hero by far, but the war ribbons are important to me as they remind me of the real heroes of that damn war, thier names are on the Wall!

Semper Fi my fallen brothers!