PDA

View Full Version : Edumacated Marine on deck!

gwladgarwr
05-19-07, 12:18 PM
Yeah, so I gotta boast a little today:

To better myself and make the Marine Corps look better, I went back to school after 13 years, and today, I graduated from George Mason University (l'Université Georges Masson for the Frenchies) with a Master of Arts in English-Linguistics. 'Twas a fun event, and of course, I was late for the processional.

And yes, I worked that GI Bill for all its worth, so you young Marines take advantage of every opportunity, especially the money kind! Do your PMEs and get edumacated!

Next step: start PhD studies back at Mason in August.

Take THAT, nasty Air Force! :bunny:

Sgt gw:flag:

USMCmailman
05-19-07, 12:24 PM
Congratulations Sgt.! Marines are not just tough----but educated also!!!!
Good for you! I wish I had done the same thing!:thumbup: :flag:

davblay
05-19-07, 01:01 PM
Congratulations Marine, just another example of what the few can do with their life! :thumbup:

Quinbo
05-19-07, 03:19 PM
Great Job Devil Dog!
George Mason grad should serve you well. It is my understanding that just to get accepted there you have to know somebody that knows somebody that blows somebody ;)

Semper Fi

yellowwing
05-19-07, 03:37 PM
Congratulations! :thumbup:

What are you going to do for the Doctorate?

thedrifter
05-19-07, 04:13 PM
Congratulations!

Ellie

10thzodiac
05-19-07, 04:41 PM
Some guys are just smarter than others, professional student and young college girls :D

rheinmark187
05-24-07, 07:19 PM
That's an inspiration to me Sergeant. I'm working on my bachelor's in International Studies.

gwladgarwr
05-25-07, 07:57 AM
Thanks, everyone! That was truly motivating.

It's been so crazy that my POV is still full of books and paperwork, and graduation was last week!:confused:

rheinmark187: keep going and make it happen! I got my B.A. in International Relations and it's a real good subject to study and can get you into any number of other fields as well. I lived across the street from DLI and went to the civilian school just down the street from it. Never got into DLI, though!

yellowwing: going for my PhD in Linguistics - really don't want to be a professor, though (really want to get into the intel field - maybe I can make it happen!)

Just goes to show you that the Marines may have the smallest budget, the worst equipment, and yes, even the lowest level of education, but they still manage to overcome. Look at the founder of FedEx! I've had Marine officers look all amazed that some enlisted puke like me had a higher degree than they did, as if a corporal (at the time) didn't know how to read and write or something. If it works out right, I'll end up teaching at Annapolis and instructing some of them future ossifers. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

It's never too late to get some more skills - anyone can take a class at a local community college or now even online - just for fun. That's just how I started, and I wish I hadn't stopped when I did!

Sgt gw:flag:

ErikHeiker
05-28-07, 05:25 AM
One of the reasons I joined the Marine Corps was for the GI Bill. And I drained that account down to zero right at the 10 year mark!